City of Vidalia
This position is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the city government. This position has final responsibility and authority for the work performed by more than one major area, department, or unit. The position is also responsible for monitoring overall organizational operations, developing or approving recommendations on major policy issues for all departments, and representing the organization with elected officials and the public.
The Mayor and City Council assigns work in terms of city goals and objectives. The supervisors review work through conferences, reports, and observation of city activities.
- Contacts are typically with department heads, other city employees, elected and appointed officials, business leaders, state and federal officials, vendors, and members of the public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate or influence persons; or to justify, defend or negotiate matters.
- Policy/Procedure Implementation as directed by City Council.
- Supervise City of Vidalia department heads and assign priorities and objectives. Determines work procedures and workflow to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Develops and implements short- and long-range goals for the city; gathers and prepares data for decision-making purposes. Communicates official plans, policies, and procedures to the Mayor, City Council, staff, and the public.
- Hires, assigns, directs, supervises, evaluates, and disciplines personnel.
- Attends City Council meetings; local, regional, and state meetings related to policies and issues that impact the city; and serves as liaison to a variety of city boards; communicates directives and addresses issues of the City Council.
- Develops and implements annual city budgets; prepares and reviews budget reports; ensures compliance; and completes various forms, reports, correspondence, budgets, financial reports, presentations, or other documents. Oversees grants, contracts, and other city documents. Advises the Mayor and City Council of the city’s financial condition and of current and future needs.
- Ensure city operations follow city policies, procedures, and ordinances with state and federal laws. Tracks legislative issues and ensures the city remains in compliance with new laws. Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable laws and regulations; maintains an awareness of new trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; attends workshops and training sessions as important.
- Handles legal matters with the help of the City Attorney.
- Responds to citizen complaints.
- Oversees city construction projects.
- Knowledge of local government operations, regulations, and standards; community and economic development practices; human resource principles and laws; budgetary principles and practices; supervisory principles and practices; computers and job-related software programs.
- Skilled in planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating the work of personnel; analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions; preparation of clear and precise administrative reports; and oral and written communication.
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
- Master’s degree preferred - in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- More than five years of related experience required.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The salary is negotiable but dependent on experience and qualifications.
Applicants can apply online through Indeed.com, email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail resume to Marsha Stone – 302 East First Street, Suite C – Vidalia, GA 30474, no later than Wednesday, January 31, 2024, at 5:00 pm.
The City of Vidalia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.