POSITION OPENING: 24-18 Post Dates: 11/9/2023 – 11/23/2023.
Classification Title: Recreation Specialist
Starting Annual Rate: $ 18.94/ hour.
Location: Leisure Services
Term of Appointment: Regular/ Full-time
Probationary Period: One (1) Year
This position is responsible for planning and supervising various recreational programs for youth and adults, as well as for ensuring recreational facilities are monitored and operating correctly.
- Plan and coordinate athletic and leisure activities.
- Advertise program offerings through various communications methods.
- Establish and maintain relationships with community stakeholders.
- Coordinate training programs for coaches, officials, and participants.
- Administer rules and policies for athletic competition.
- Maintain department files as needed.
- Conduct maintenance of facilities and inventory equipment.
- Ensure a safe, healthy environment for program participants.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to work effectively while supervising groups/volunteers with minimum supervision.
- Advanced knowledge in recreation programs, rules, and procedures where assigned.
- Ability to plan, advise, assist, and coordinate with various groups/departments for all activities associated with Leisure Services.
- Proficient in use of all equipment and tools associated with Leisure Services maintenance operations.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Reports to Director of Leisure Services. May be tasked to lead and direct work groups and program participants.
Physical Demands – Class A
- LIFTING: Occasionally. A Recreation Specialist may be required to lift equipment and supplies during set or inventory. The weight of this equipment is dependent on the material and its dimensions.
- PUSH/PULL: Occasionally. Push or pull may occur when ensuring safe work environment.
- GRIP/HANDLING: Continuously. Use of hands to grip equipment, supplies, files.
- ELEVATED WORK/REACHING: Continuously. Reaching during maintenance of the facilities and inventory of equipment.
- TATIC FORWARD BENDING: Occasionally. May occur during a reaching task.
- TRUNK ROTATION: Frequently. Trunk rotation occurs when assisting facility set up or pick up and inventory.
- SITTING TOLERANCE: Occasionally. Recreation Specialist may conduct a portion of their administrative duties while at their desks, filing, putting together communications, planning and coordinating.
- STANDING TOLERANCE: Frequently. Standing may occur during task changes, facility events and programs.
- WALKING: Continuously. Walking may occur during task changes, facility events and programs.
- BALANCE: Continuously. Balance may occur during task changes, facility events and programs.
- COORDINATION: Continuously. May occur during task changes, facility events and programs.
Work is primarily performed outside, with a portion conducted inside depending on the facility and program to which the employee is assigned. Weekend and night work is required, and position may be included in on-call rotation.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in business English protocol.
- At least three years of experience in a comparable position providing program support and/or maintenance of similar systems.
- Ability to effectively operate maintenance equipment assigned to facility.
- Possession of or ability to maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Possession of an associate or bachelor’s degree in recreation, sports management, or other related field, or two years of experience performing increasing responsible duties in a recreation or leisure services department.
To be considered for this role, the items listed below must be uploaded with the application packet:
Application must be completed in full to be considered.
This position requires pre-employment, post-accident, and random drug screening.
THE CITY OF PERRY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND A CERTIFIED DRUG FREE WORKPLACE