GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City of Clarkston.
- While performing any procedure, all employees and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate company operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
This position is responsible for assisting fellow officers with interdepartmental duties and city activities; responding to the needs of the general public by performing police investigations; compiling reports, preparing cases for trial and appearing in court; maintaining and updating records for proper documentation; working to achieve the highest level of cooperation and to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of law enforcement within the City of Clarkston.
- Oversees complex criminal investigations including but not limited to: homicides, sexual assaults, armed robberies, home invasions, and property crimes such as burglaries;
- Examines and processes crime scenes under various weather conditions to obtain clues and evidence;
- Notes, marks, and photographs location of objects found, such as footprints, tire tracks, bullets and bloodstains and takes measurements of the scene;
- Obtains facts or statements from complainants, witnesses, and accused persons; takes depositions from victims; performs interviews and interrogations; records interviews;
- Obtains summary of incident from officer in charge at crime scene, taking care to avoid disturbing evidence;
- Analyzes completed police reports to determine what additional information and investigative work is needed; prepare charges or responses to charges, or information for court cases, according to formalized procedures;
- Testifies in court proceedings by providing reports, sketches and photographs;
- Maintains equipment to ensure that it is in a state of readiness;
- Preserves, processes and analyzes items of evidence obtained from crime scenes and suspects, placing them in proper containers and destroying evidence no longer needed;
- Records progress of investigation; maintains informational files on suspects; submits reports to commanding officer or magistrate to authorize warrants;
- Updates supervisor on the status of all assigned cases;
- Collaborates with other agencies; attends briefings and conferences with agencies requesting assistance;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of law enforcement concepts and terminology, including criminal investigation, law enforcement and crime prevention; first-aid principles and techniques; report preparation and record keeping; and human behavior theories related to criminology, crisis intervention and crowd control;
- Knowledge of laws and court decisions pertaining to law enforcement, including search and seizure, suspects and prisoner’s rights, and custody and protection of evidence; operational principles and practices of criminal investigation, law enforcement and crime prevention; court and trial procedures;
- Knowledge of the use and effects of law enforcement weapons; methods of self-defense and physical restraint;
- Knowledge of Police Department’s policies and procedures; geographic layout of City; vocabulary of technical/specialized fields of law enforcement such as identification, detention and pathology;
- Skill in learning, interpreting, applying and explaining complex laws and regulations; reading and interpreting documents such as maps, diagrams and textbooks;
- Skill in performing accurate mathematical calculations; comprehending and retaining factual information and applying what is learned;
- Skill in photography;
- Skill in crime scene investigation and evidence collection;
- Skill in the efficient lifting and preserving of fingerprints;
- Skill in interviewing witnesses, victims, and interrogation of suspects;
- Skill in observing and remembering details of events, names, faces, numbers and physical descriptions; preparing and maintaining clear, accurate and concise reports and files;
- Skill in communicating effectively in both verbal and written form; exercising tact, self-restraint, judgment and strategy in dealing with people of all races, ethnicities and socio-economic groups and who may have emotional or physical difficulties;
- Skill in exercising sound independent judgment in emergency or stressful situations; correctly interpreting a given situation and taking appropriate action under a variety of conditions;
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies;
- Ability to operate the computer and various programs;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Ability to gather, assemble, analyze and evaluate facts and evidence and to draw sound conclusions; working ability to obtain valid information by interview and interrogation;
- Ability to work rotating shifts, varying hours and be on call.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Seargent defines objectives, deadlines and priorities for performing work assignments. Work is periodically reviewed for accuracy and compliance with departmental policies and procedures.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include federal and state laws, criminal and traffic laws, city ordinances, departmental policies and procedures, and court decisions. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work involves performing various investigative duties that assist with protecting life and property and enhancing public safety in the City. The incumbent is required to perform varied duties including physical observation, simultaneous operation of vehicle and computer, processing reports and interpersonal communication – often in adverse situations.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to protect the public and ensure a safe environment within the City by conducting investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases. Successful implementation of the work results in a safer atmosphere and a decrease in citizen victimization.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, law enforcement and public safety personnel and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are for exchanging information, providing services, resolving problems, influencing and interviewing people in a variety of environments.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Visual acuity in both eyes, normal color vision, good accommodation and no field deficits; hear in-person, radio and telephone conversations; recognize differences or changes in sound patterns, loudness or pitch; speak audibly and clearly; identify and distinguish smells of different materials; sit or stand for prolonged periods; walk, run, kneel, stoop, crawl and crouch; make precise and coordinated finger, hand and limb movements; maintain uniform, controlled hand-arm posture or movement; push, pull or drag an adult (averaging 160 pounds); lift and carry boxes of evidence (average 50 pounds); use force to restrain/subdue others; work efficiently for long periods of time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed either in an office environment or in a variety of field and office settings and may require exposure to dangerous and life-threatening situations. Must be willing to carry a firearm; mentally and physically capable of taking the life of another, if justified; willing to work any hour of the day or night (shift work), overtime, weekends, on call and holidays; work at any location in the City and travel on specific assignments.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITES: None.
Associate’s degree with course work in political science, criminology, criminal justice or related field preferred; three (3) years of law enforcement experience including investigation work; training courses related to field of investigations; Georgia P.O.S.T. Certified; valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Interested candidates should apply online at https://www.cognitoforms.com/CityOfClarkstonGA/EmploymentApplication
This position is open until filled.