City of Mableton, Georgia
Position Title: FINANCE DIRECTOR
Purpose of Position: The City’s Finance Director performs complex professional and difficult administrative work in planning, organizing, and directing the financial activities of the City.
Essential Functions & Duties:
- Plans, organizes, and supervises the operations of the Finance Department, including disbursement and accounting of municipal funds, billing, and preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports; supervises staff assisting with these duties.
- Serves as a member of the team, along with the City Manager, in the preparation of the general operating and capital improvements budgets; reviews departmental budget requests for accuracy and justification of resource allocation and expenditures.
- Works with the Manager in the formulation of City’s financial policies.
- Manages receipt and investment of City revenues.
- Oversees and participates in risk management functions.
- Oversees and participates in human resources functions. Oversees filing, reception, and customer service.
- Reviews and monitors ongoing administration of budget, monitors revenues and expenditures.
- Reviews budget system and financial conditions and develops methods of improvement.
- Assists the auditors during the annual audit of City financial records; follows up on findings to improve financial systems.
- Maintains a general accounting system for the City; oversees maintenance of financial records for each department; maintains separate accounts for items of appropriation in the budget, including amount of the appropriation, amounts paid, unpaid obligations against the account, and the unencumbered balance.
- Submits to the City Manager and the City Board periodic statements of the financial condition of the City.
- Performs fiscal analysis, trend analysis, revenue forecasting, debt service planning, capital budgeting and planning, financial reporting, and related financial management tasks. Oversees IT functions of the City.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required. J.D. or master’s degree in accounting or finance preferred.
- Preference given to Certified Public Accountants (CPA).
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of finance or accounting experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of Georgia General Statutes and of local ordinances governing municipal financial practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public finance administration, including principles and practices of municipal accounting.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of automated systems and their use in a municipal environment.
- Considerable knowledge of supervision including motivation, communication, leadership, performance coaching and evaluation.
- Ability to evaluate complex financial systems and formulate and install accounting methods, procedures, forms, and records.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the work of employees in the specialized field of accounting and collections.
- Ability to design and prepare analytical or interpretative financial statements.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, departmental heads, governmental officials, and with other City employees.
- Ability to conduct long range fiscal planning.
- Accuracy and thoroughness in the analysis and preparation of financial records and reports.
Physical Demands: The work requires sedentary and active engagement with residents, businesses, departments and Mayor and Council, including participation and/or attendance at townhalls and City Council meetings. The employee is occasionally required to exert a light amount of force. This position occasionally requires the use of tools or equipment requiring dexterity
Annual Salary Range: $105,559.00 - $168,894.00
The City of Mableton has the right to revise this position description at any time and does not represent in any way a contract of employment.