City of Mableton, Georgia
Position Title: COMMUNICATIONS & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT DIRECTOR
Purpose of Position: Responsible for the development and dissemination of information about the City’s strategic initiatives, programs, and services. In addition to developing marketing initiatives aimed at citizens and businesses, this individual will develop and cultivate key partnerships with a variety of stakeholders including the business community and elected representatives at the City, County, State, and Federal level. The position requires experience in public information, media relations practices, marketing, government relations practices, the ability to work in a team environment, and considerable independence and thought processes.
Essential Functions & Duties:
- Provide a comprehensive media relations program for the purpose of educating the public and maintaining a positive public image. This may include website design, electronic and printed publications, articles, promotional materials and other forms of communications to local media, the public, elected officials, the business community and other involved and interested stakeholders.
- Foster relationships with federal, state, and county officials, both elected and staff, in order to proactively present City’s legislative goals. Monitors legislative issues and initiatives to best position the City in achieving identified goals and objectives.
- Foster a relationship with the media in order to proactively present City programs, services and initiatives and serve as primary point of contact on behalf of the City and all of its departments, including coordinating with law enforcement and fire services partners.
- May serve as City’s spokesperson and oversee the City’s media relations functions.
- Develop marketing and other materials to facilitate interest from the business community to further the economic development goals of the City Council.
- Plans, organizes, and implements the City’s overall economic development outreach as it relates to encouraging and promoting business development, retention, rehabilitation, vitalization, revitalization and growth.
- Serves as liaison with public, private and non-profit organizations for business attraction, creation, expansion and retention activities.
- Acts as business recruitment and commercial development facilitation for the City.
- Establishes, develops, and cultivates relationship with a variety of community members including residents, the local business community, legislative aides, etc.
- Develops and administers department budget consistent with City goals.
- Develops, designs, and implements numerous coordinated marketing initiatives to present City programs in a positive light and to maximize community engagement.
- Attend staff, City Council, and community meetings as directed.
- Participate in collaborative partnership with other city/county/state officials.
- Responsible for dissemination of information and recommended communication strategies during an emergency event while actively contributing as a team member in the Emergency Operations Center during any and all crisis, natural or otherwise.
- Conduct research on grant programs for funding various City projects.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Business, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Social Sciences, Education, Public Administration, Political Science or related field.
- Valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Minimum 2-3 years of professional experience as a public information officer or in journalism, public relations, research, marketing, project management.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective personal relationships with others.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both written and oral form.
- Ability to speak to audiences and/or media.
- Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written directions and manage complex computer software.
- Ability to use discretion and good judgment in handling politically sensitive information and issues.
- Knowledge, skill and application of social media platforms.
- Ability to recognize and develop public information opportunities.
- Ability to use video production equipment and editing software.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations when immediate guidance from the supervisor may not be available.
Physical Demands: The work requires sedentary and active engagement with residents, businesses, departments and Mayor and Council, including participation and/or attendance at townhalls and City Council meetings. The employee is occasionally required to exert a light amount of force. This position occasionally requires the use of tools or equipment requiring dexterity.
Annual Payment Range: $86,000 - $106,000.
The City of Mableton has the right to revise this position description at any time and does not represent in any way a contract of employment.