This position performs technical accounting duties in support of the city's financial operations. An incumbent in this position may be designated "Senior Accountant."
- Balances general ledger accounts and generates audit schedules pursuant to external auditor guidelines.
- Completes a variety of regular and special reports, including reports submitted to external agencies.
- Processes month-end closings.
- Analyzes department budgets to ensure budget guidelines are met; works with department heads to resolve problems; ensure items are correctly budgeted.
- Reviews general ledger postings for accuracy and compliance with policies.
- Prepares monthly reports for the City Council.
- Maintains capital fixed asset inventory for all city property.
- Assists in preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Monitors city bank balances to determine available amounts for accounts payable, payroll, and investments.
- Prepares monthly state sales tax reports.
- Provides support for payroll, accounts payable, and stormwater billing functions as needed.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) guidelines.
- Knowledge of auditing principles.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, city ordinances, and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Accounting Manager assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include GAAP, GASB guidelines, internal control procedures, relevant state and federal laws, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied accounting duties. Strict regulations and the need for accuracy contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide financial accounting support for the city's financial operations. Successful performance ensures the efficiency and effectiveness of those operations.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, representatives of other government agencies, bankers, auditors, vendors, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.