The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Qualified applicants MUST apply via our website by downloading an application packet at www.cityofcovington.org or may apply in person at the City of Covington, 2194 Emory Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. This position will remain open until 4:00pm on Thursday February 15, 2024. The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The primary objective of this job class is to perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in order to carry out certain day-to-day activities associated with the operation and maintenance requirements of the Land Application System (LAS).
• LAS Operator 4 (GD 12)
o Class 4 Wastewater Operator License
o NPDES Blue Card
o HDPE Fusion Technician Training
o First Aid, CPR, Confined Space, Trench Safety Training
• LAS Operator 3 (GD 13)
o Class 3 Wastewater Operator License or;
o Wastewater Collection License or;
o Water Distribution License or;
o Class 4 Wastewater Operator License and Class A Commercial Driver’s License
• LAS Operator 2 (GD 14)
o Class 2 Wastewater Operator License or;
o Any LAS Operator 3 License and Class A Commercial Driver’s License
• LAS Operator 1 (GD 15)
o Minimum One (1) Year at Covington LAS
o Class 1 Wastewater Operator License or;
o Class 2 Wastewater Operator License and Class A Commercial Driver’s License
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and responsibilities will increase as employee progresses via the Career Development path.
• Operate a variety of compact loaders, excavators, tractors and implements used in land management tasks
• Inspect and maintain essential components used, for and during, the irrigation process of the LAS
• Operates a variety of hand and power tools used to maintain, repair, or replace components of the LAS, including, but not limited to, chain saws, sprayers, generators, and related specialty equipment.
• Communicates and receives instruction regarding status of field conditions, equipment, irrigation components and related supplies
• Monitors, reports and records statistical data related to equipment operation and maintenance activities
• Performs minor preventive and corrective maintenance tasks as required
• Handles, mixes, uses and/or applies a variety of petroleum products, cleaners, chemicals, pesticides, etc.
• May assist in the operation of pumps, valves and/or instrumentation as required by our EPD LAS Permit
• May assist in the required collection and recording of monitoring activities; soil, surface and ground waters
• Participates in required safety and training procedures as outlined by the department
• May assist in related duties of the department and/or duties as required or needed by the City
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) Graduation from high school or GED equivalent; and
(B) Possession of Class III Wastewater Certification or the ability to attain certification within one year of appointment. Wastewater treatment experience is desired.
(C) Related knowledge, skills, and/or experience
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of:
o operation of motor vehicles, ATVs, trailers, compact loaders, tractors and excavators
o related implements and attachments and a number of hand and power tools
o phones, computers and software applications
o general wastewater treatment
o land management, forestry and/or agricultural related activities
o Care and operation of listed ‘Tools and Equipment Used’ below
• Ability to:
o work safely in accordance with established rules, policies and regulations
o communicate effectively in person, in writing, by phone and electronically
o create effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public
o solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations in a controlled manner
o listen, learn and apply instructions of written, oral, diagram or schedule form
o read and comprehend basic minimum requirements set forth in the EPD / LAS Permit
Valid State Driver's license. Good driving record for past three years. The ability to obtain Wastewater Certification within one (1) year of appointment.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motor vehicle, tractors, compact loaders, excavators, trailers, implements and attachments, dump trucks, ATV’s, chain saws, generators, pumps, valves, gauges, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, hydraulic lifts, welder, mobile radio, phone, calculator, computers and a variety of related mechanical equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required (over 2/3 of time) to sit, stand and walk, reach with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects and to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required (1/3 to 2/3 of time) to walk up and down stairwells; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell.
The employee is regularly required (over 2/3 of time) to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of time) lift and/or move 50 pounds and occasionally (under 1/3 of time) lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee frequently works in high or precarious places, near moving mechanical parts and exposed to toxic or caustic fumes and chemicals and airborne particles and electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is regularly moderately loud, frequently loud and occasionally very loud.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.p >