REPORTS TO: Director of Comm. Dev.
DEPARTMENT: Comm. Development
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time regular
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DATE APPROVED: Replaces all others
The position of Development Services Specialist is under the direction of the Community Development Department Director. The Development Services Specialist performs analysis and makes recommendations relative to planning principles through the review of site, development, and subdivision plans to ensure conformance with federal, state and city codes, ordinances and policies. Research information relating to site and subdivision development; interprets codes, ordinances and policies for developers, contractors and citizens; provides technical assistance and guidance in obtaining plan approvals.
The Development Services Specialist coordinates site and subdivision review activities with engineering staff, City departments and external agencies. Maintains subdivision and site plan file documentation. Reviews detailed bonding agreements, variances, and exceptions within prescribed limits; maintains and refunds the bonds related to site and subdivision files, land disturbances and right-of-way permits as necessary. Coordinates land disturbance permitting, construction inspections, NPDES reporting, building and trades permitting, etc.
Performs other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, stand, talk, and operate multiple types of equipment in varying degrees of temperature for an extended period of time.
- Performs analysis and makes recommendations relative to planning principles through the review of site, construction, and subdivision plans to ensure conformance with city codes, ordinances and policies, and International Building Codes.
- Research information relating to site and subdivision development and building construction; interprets codes, ordinances and policies for developers, builders, contractors and citizens; provides technical assistance and guidance in obtaining plan and permit approvals.
- Coordinates site and subdivision review activities with engineering staff, City departments, external governmental agencies, and professional consultants. Maintains subdivision and site plan file documentation.
- Coordinates site and subdivision files, land disturbance, and building permits as necessary.
- Coordinates site, subdivision agreements and land development agreements for contractors.
- Receives, processes and issues building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, minimum housing, business compliance, sign, demolition and related permits. Schedules development and building inspections.
- Computes, invoices, and collects business license, building permit, and development fees.
- Compiles monthly permit and inspections data to Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission.
- Compiles a variety of departmental reports and correspondence including monthly US Census and Henry County Board of Assessors reports.
- Assists in processing citations for building, erosion control abatement, and other violations.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Research and compiles information on a variety of planning issues from multiple sources.
- Investigates violations of planning regulations and ordinances, including site visits.
- Ability to effectively handle citizen concerns when approached while being professional and courteous.
- Ability to relay information from the immediate supervisor to other team members in a professional manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Interpersonal Relationships/Customer Service – Develops and maintains cooperative and professional relationships with employees, managers, and representatives from other departments and organizations.
- Technology- Utilizes a personal computer with word processing, spreadsheet, and related software to effectively complete a variety of administrative tasks with reasonable speed and accuracy. Knowledge in permitting software.
- Critical Thinking – Uses logic and reasoning to understand, analyze, and evaluate complex situations and research information to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, forecasting, conclusions or approaches; anticipates, identifies and evaluates potentially dangerous, unusual or deviating situations; diffuses emotional situations and exercises appropriate judgment to establish priorities and take prompt action for problem resolution.
- Communication – Ability to communicate ideas effectively, including the preparation of reports and logs. Ability to listen and understand directions, information and ideas presented verbally and in writing. Ability to handle a variety of customer service issues with tact and diplomacy and in a confidential manner.
- Time Management – Ability to plan and organize daily work routine. Ability to establish priorities for the completion of work in accordance with sound time-management methodology.
- Mathematics – Ability to perform basic arithmetic and statistical applications. Ability to employ basic math principles and practices in the analysis and reporting of data.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with constant interruptions and within short timeframes
- Must be able to gain knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures
- Must follow safety rules and regulations
- Must be aware of occupational hazards, safety standards, and exercise best practices
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills, using the English language.
The Development Services Specialist generally requires, at a minimum, 3-5 years of site development, zoning, local government or architecture experience with H.S. Diploma/GED. The completion of an associate degree in, construction management, social sciences or related field may substitute for two years of experience.
STATEMENT OF OTHER DUTIES DISCLAIMER:
The preceding job description does not constitute an employment contract. It has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job. Incumbent will perform other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Please submit resumes to email@example.com