Department: Public Works
Salary Range: $48,663.16 - $60,844.78 DOE
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position is responsible for managing, supervising, and participating in solid waste management functions.
Essential Job Duties
- Trains, assigns, directs, and supervises the work of personnel; develops work schedules.
- Oversees and coordinates solid waste collection and disposal operations.
- Develops and maintains collection schedules.
- Communicates with customers to resolve complaints and answer questions.
- Oversees equipment maintenance and repair.
- Operates a truck along a collection route as needed.
- Ensures compliance with safety policies and procedures.
- Purchases and maintains inventory of equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Assists in the preparation of annual budgets and division’s long-term capital plan.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of solid waste management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of department and city policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of equipment operation, maintenance, and repair principles.
- Skill in directing the work of personnel.
- Skill in planning, organization, and decision making.
- Skill in providing customer services.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Assistant Public Works Director assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of varied supervisory, customer service, and equipment operation duties. Inclement weather conditions and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to supervise and participate in solid waste management operations. Successful performance contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of those operations.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city personnel, vendors, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, motivate persons, and provide services.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in extreme heat, cold, or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggle, or gloves.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
This position has direct supervision over Solid Waste Leader - Driver and Sanitation Crew Member.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years’ experience or service.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid commercial driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Application Information: Applications must be submitted online at: www.acworth.org
* * * * The City of Acworth is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *