This position is responsible for inspection of existing, new or renovated construction projects in the City of Garden City and for the enforcement of adopted federal and state codes and ordinances withing the Planning & Zoning department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists in the administration of “fire prevention” activities of new and existing structures and facilities. Duties include assisting in the State level review of construction plans and documents, permitting, and inspections on behalf of the State of Georgia.
- Assists in the administration of floodplain management activities, to include oversight of document review, construction and uses located in the special flood hazard area, to ensure compliance with FEMA regulations and Garden City’s Higher Regulatory Standards.
- Assists in review of building plans, blueprints, maps, plats, site plans and drawings to ensure compliance with city building codes and all other applicable state and federal regulations.
- Assists in the reviews of building permit applications for accuracy and completeness; computes permit fees; receives fees and issues receipts; approves permits.
- Researches records and gathers information regarding plats and deeds, public health records, contractor’s licenses, zoning information and other data regarding permit applications.
- Interprets city codes and ordinances for plans and specifications requirements and consults with developers, contractors, engineers, architects and homeowners regarding related issues and problems.
- Conducts inspections of framing, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and zoning setbacks for homes, manufactured homes, commercial and industrial buildings and determines compliance with adopted building codes and zoning ordinances.
- Conducts site inspections of residential pools, well services, electrical services, detached structures, and other facilities for compliance with adopted building codes.
- Assist in scheduling of pre-construction meeting and permitting for site development projects. Assist in reviews of site plans for, fire protection and ADA compliance. Assist with review of site plans for grading, water/sewer, drainage and soil erosion. Conducts site inspections for compliance with approved site plan; monitors sites for compliance with land development permit and soil erosion sedimentation control permit.
- Confers with developers, contractors, builders, and the general public regarding building code violations detected during inspections; recommends corrective actions to bring building into compliance.
- References various code manuals, regulations, and policies and maintains knowledge of state and local residential and commercial codes and regulations relating to building, plumbing, electrical, gas, mechanical, heating and air conditioning, fire and zoning.
- Investigates complaints pertaining to city ordinances and applicable code violations.
- Assists with the preparation of letters, memos, and documents regarding permit application problems and code violations.
- Responds to inquiries, complaints, and problems from property owners, developers, contractors, and the general public regarding city property and/or easement acquisition activities.
- Maintains certifications by attending training class(es) or courses to obtain required continuing education credits.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED required; five (5) years’ experience in site development and vertical construction; International Code Council (ICC) certification as a Building Inspector is strongly preferred, or will be required with in the first 6 months of employment. The first ICC certification must be obtained no later than six (6) months from the date of hire; certificate milestones must be met and maintained as a condition of continued employment. Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job, will be considered. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of the City of Garden City/local government and the operations and functions of a Planning and Zoning Department.
• Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Salary will be based on education, skills and/or experience. Interested applicants should contact Garden City's Human Resource Department at (912) 963-2766 or email resume and references to GCHR@gardencity-ga.gov. Applications can also be submitted by visiting the City's website at gardencity-ga.gov.