The City of Chamblee seeks an experienced community development professional to serve as Planning and Development Director. This position reports to the Assistant City Manager and works closely with City Administration, the Mayor, City Councilmembers, the Design Review Board (DRB), and other city departments. Responsibilities include oversight of planning, zoning, engineering, permitting, inspections, and code enforcement with a focus on development and advancement of the city's community and economic interests.
The ideal candidate will be a confident leader with exceptional management, interpersonal, and communicative skills as well as an accomplished background in planning and community development. Key attributes will also include ability to forge key working relationships with a variety of elected officials, developers, members of the public, local and regional stakeholders, and regulatory agencies. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be solutions-orientated and well versed on all aspects of planning and development review from entitlement and plan review to inspection and compliance.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Public Administration or a related field is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Ten (10) years of increasingly responsible experience in municipal or regional planning, zoning, or development, including three years of management and administrative responsibility.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be acceptable.
- Professional certification with the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assumes full responsibility for all Planning and Development Department functions, programs, and operations including planning, building inspection and compliance, code enforcement, engineering, and redevelopment activities.
- Manages contract administration for planning and development services provided by external firm(s) to ensure alignment with strategic goals as well as relevant federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Manages the development and implementation of operational goals, objectives, and priorities for each assigned service area; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Establishes, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing strategy; monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocates resources accordingly.
- Assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting and contract administration relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement; directs and implements changes.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates, through subordinate level staff, the Planning and Development Department’s work plan; assigns projects; oversees the implementation of City Council’s plans for the department; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures; meets with key staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Implements and maintains the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Trains, motivates, develops, and evaluates assigned personnel to correct deficiencies and improve performance.
- Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the department budget; approves the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Supervises and coordinates the development review process for all private and public development activities in the City; reviews plans and resolves sensitive, controversial and complex issues; solves problems with developers, property owners, the public, architects, engineers, planners, and Planning Commission.
- Provides staff assistance to the Assistant City Manager; responds to inquiries; resolves major issues and problems; provides status on pending projects; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Represents the Planning and Development Department to other departments, elected officials, and outside agencies; coordinates assigned activities with other departments, developers, and outside agencies and organizations; meets with developers on submitted or proposed projects.
- Prepares and reviews complex documents including development agreements and contracts; testifies in court as an expert witness for the City on development, land use, and transportation matters.
- Attends and makes presentations at City Council meetings and other City-related meetings, as required.
- Serves as staff to the Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and other advisory commissions and boards as assigned.
- Explains, justifies, and defends department programs, policies, and activities; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of planning and development.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Performs other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Must possess a valid State of Georgia Driver’s License (Class C) and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).