Job Summary: This position is responsible for the administration of finances and financial activities of the city as directed by the Mayor, City Council and City Clerk.
- Establish goals and objectives, provide advice and assist in financial problem solving
- Assist City Clerk in preparation of the annual City Capital and Operating Budgets
- Performs accounting function in support of city departments as assigned; processes accounts payable / receivable; maintains related files and records; prepares related reports
- Reviews utility bad debt accounts and refers to collection agency as appropriate
- Performs audit of year-end inventory
- Maintains invoice / record keeping and prepares related reports
- Reconciles miscellaneous general ledger accounts
- Monitor expenditures by providing a monthly budget review to all departments
- Prepare monthly financial statements for Mayor, City Council and City Clerk for review
- Assist auditor by providing requested financial data and by responding to inquiries throughout the course of the yearly audit
- Calculates tax millage rate, processes yearly property tax billings and imports into the software system
- Formulates and implements policy standards for the City of Blakely finances
- Reviews and maintains general ledger accounts for proper entries, material irregularities or financial problems in compliance with state and federal regulations
- Provides technical advice, counsel and direction to department heads as necessary
- Reconciles accounts payables and accounts receivables to the general ledger monthly
- Monitors and maintains fixed asset system making any necessary changes
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advanced knowledge of public accounting, finance, budgeting and auditing principles, procedures, and techniques
- Knowledge of administrative practices and principles including goal setting, program budget development and implementation
- Knowledge of City ordinances and laws governing local governments
- Knowledge of general office procedures, policies and equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral communication about the City’s finances to individuals and groups
- Ability to prepare accounting / financial data projections
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
- Knowledge of internal control standards
- Ability to prepare clean and concise reports, correspondence and other written material
- Ability to research, compile and summarize a variety of information and statistical data
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and other city officials
Bachelor degree with course work emphasis in Business Administration or Accounting preferred; additionally, three (3) years previous experience and/or training involving financial accounting; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Physical Ability: Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
Sensory requirements: some tasks require oral communications ability.
Environmental Factors: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The City of Blakely, Georgia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act, the City of Blakely Georgia will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Interested applicants should submit an application or resume to:
City of Blakely
Attn: Melinda Crook
P.O. Box 350
Blakely, GA 39823
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace
We E- Verify