CITY OF DORAVILLE, GEORGIA
POSITION TITLE: HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR/RISK MANAGER
REPORTS TO: CITY MANAGER
LOCATION: 3725 PARK AVENUE, DORAVILLE, GA, 30340
FLSA STATUS: FULL-TIME / EXEMPT
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The City of Doraville is seeking a full-time Human Resources Director responsible for directing the activities of the Human Resources Department. The Director of Human Resources administers a broad range of human resource management functions City-wide, including: employment relations, staffing and recruitment, compensation, employee benefits, policy and procedure development, training and development, performance management and personnel records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages recruitment and selection process for all city positons.
- Supports management by providing human resources advice, counsel and decisions.
- Prepares special studies and reports at the request of senior management
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate on personnel matters.
- Prepares the budget for Human Resources.
- Formulates and reviews the city’s policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters (The Employee Handbook).
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures agency’s compliance.
- Resolves inquiries from employees and department heads regarding benefits programs
- Assist local insurance broker in bidding insurance.
- Maintains confidentiality of work related issues and City information.
- Point of contact for wellness and employee engagement initiatives.
- Maintain personnel files and archive documents in accordance to the retention schedule.
- Manages the new hire process to include: application tracking; preparing offer letters, preparing employee benefits and new hire packets; setting up interviews; setting up drug screening, orientations, exit interviews and routing paperwork for background checks.
- Maintains the sick leave bank.
- Handles all FMLA leave requests.
- Submits payment of Human Resources invoices.
- Assists employees with retirement and disability requests.
- Creates and maintains policies and classes for sexual harassment, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), racial discrimination
- Completes and/or receives employee action forms from departments to create/update/change employee records, such as, appointments, terminations, pay changes, promotions/demotions, transfers and address changes.
- Completes requests for verification of employment forms.
- Processes changes in employee insurance coverage.
- Manages open enrollment.
- Processes all terminations and ensures that all necessary paperwork is completed, such as, separation notices and requests for funds from pension if not vested.
- Processes termination of insurance coverage for terminated/retired employees or ineligible dependents.
- Administers Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) plans as necessary.
- Processes notices of death of covered employees, retirees, vested retirees and/or dependents.
- Administers the workers’ compensation plans; files all forms; and follows up on each individual case; maintains worker’s compensation log of all injuries reported/suffered by city employees.
- Administers liability, automobile and property insurance by submitting necessary forms to the insurance company and maintaining files.
- Coordinates all employee benefits, including short term and long term disability, health/dental/vision insurance, COBRA, FMLA, Workers Compensation, flexible spending accounts, employee assistance programs and life insurance. Investigates and resolves issues and discrepancies regarding plans. Verifies/audits all insurance invoices. Submits changes to providers as needed. Submits requisitions for payment.
- Conduct wage and benefit surveys to analyze and evaluate pay rates and benefits based on external market conditions.
- Provide support for the front desk as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or Public Administration and 3 years of related Human Resources experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Working knowledge of MS Office Suite required.
SHRM and/or CHRM certification