CITY OF HOSCHTON
The City of Hoschton is located just off I-85 in Jackson County, one of Georgia’s fastest growing residential, commercial, and industrial areas north of Atlanta. The population of Hoschton is poised to more than triple over the next 8-10 years from 2,500 to over 10,000. The city is a Council / Manager form of government and has an immediate opening for a City Manager desiring to lead Hoschton forward during this accelerated growth period. The City Manager is the Chief Administrative Officer responsible for the city’s daily operation with direct oversight of all city departments, including: Finance / Administration, SPLOST, Public Works, Water, Wastewater, Cultural, Cemetery, Inspections, Planning, and Police. The City requires that the selected candidate must live and / or relocate within thirty miles of Hoschton.
MAJOR DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct and indirect supervision of department personnel regarding City policies, administrative rules and guidelines, and all other information necessary to provide for the proper and efficient performance of personnel.
- Plans, organizes, and oversees the day-to-day operations of City services through city departments.
- Develops operating policies and procedures for assigned departments, coordinates policy development with department heads.
- Provides leadership and works to develop and retain highly competent, public-service oriented staff through selection, compensation, training, and day-to-day management practices.
- Serves as project manager for multi-department projects; coordinates the development of projects, reports, studies, grant proposals, and ordinances.
- Provides insight into the development and implementation of operating and budgetary policies and in the development of goals and objectives for departments and programs.
- Oversees purchasing and bidding of City contracts to ensure compliance and best value for products and services.
- Plans and manages the preparation and administration of SPLOST projects.
- May represent the City on local, regional, and state level boards, commissions, and task forces, and regional alliances.
- Assists with the planning and development of programs and initiatives to achieve the goals and objectives as defined by the Mayor and Council.
- Attends all City Council meetings and prepares and presents reports and recommendations.
- Provides or coordinates staff support to City boards and commissions and serves on various committees or task forces at the pleasure of the Mayor and Council.
- Performs other duties as requested, directed, or assigned by the Mayor and Council.
SKILLS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration, employee supervision, budgeting, and governmental finance.
- Strong knowledge and experience of water and wastewater operations and regulation.
- Working knowledge of the city code of ordinances, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of the functions, organization, and operations of all city departments.
- Working knowledge of state and federal laws in all areas applicable to city government.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Leadership skills in managing growth, implementing change and strategic initiatives, trend assessment and forecasting, and economic development.
- Progressive experience in organizational management, development of short and long-range plans, and administration of key infrastructure projects.
- Evidence of continued professional development education.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, public finance, management, or closely related field; and at least seven (7) years of responsible experience as an Assistant to a City Manager / City Administrator or employed as a City Manager / Administrator in a local government(s) of similar size and complexity or related field.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary and benefits for this position are negotiable with a salary range of $95,000 to $110,000. Offers will be commensurate with qualifications and work experience.
Application materials should include a cover letter addressing how the candidate’s experience and qualifications match the position requirements, resume in PDF format with personal contact information, minimum of three job related references with contact information to:
City of Hoschton
% Jennifer-Kidd Harrison, City Clerk
79 City Square
Hoschton, Georgia 30548
POSITION OPEN UNITL FILLED