JOB TITLE: Road Crew Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
SUPERVISOR: Public Works Director
PREPARED BY: City of Pelham, GA
DATE: April 2021
Responsible for the administration and supervisory work in directing the operation of a municipal road crew. Employee is responsible for planning, coordinating, and supervising the activities of the employees engaged in the construction and maintenance of streets and related facilities, and the operation of a system for collection and disposal of solid wastes. Work is performed under the direction of the Public Works Director through periodic inspection, reports and evaluation of the effectiveness and efficiency of operation.
- Plans, coordinates, and supervises all activities relating to the construction and maintenance of streets and related facilities, and the operation of a solid waste collection and disposal system.
- Confers with crew leaders on problems encountered in department operations.
- Plans and reviews training and safety programs.
- Monitors conditions of existing systems.
- Keeps time records for all department employees.
- Inventories, keeps records of, and orders supplies and equipment.
- Monitors sanitation routes to ensure that they are serviced properly.
- Handles complaints from dissatisfied customers.
- Supervises maintenance and service work on department vehicles and equipment.
- Performs public relations work in interpreting policies to customers.
- Performs as heavy equipment operator occasionally.
- Coordinates employee annual leave schedule.
- Monitors safety standards and conditions.
- Monitors maintenance of parks, cemeteries and ballfields.
- Assists with preparation of departmental budget.
- Makes recommendations to the Public Works Director on the need to purchase new and used equipment.
- Performs related duties as required
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other supervisory personnel, city officials, and to deal courteously with the public.
- Ability to effectively coordinate the activities of a number of employees engaged in various tasks and programs.
- Thorough knowledge of the theory, principles, and practices of street construction and maintenance, and solid waste collection and disposal.
- Thorough knowledge of the materials, equipment, processes, and techniques necessary to department operations.
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair of equipment used in street construction and repair and in solid waste collection and disposal.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and corresponding safety precautions: ability to develop and implement appropriate safety programs.
- Ability to work and supervise under limited supervision.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Possession of a valid driver’s license with the State of Georgia
- Considerable progressively responsible experience in street construction and maintenance and solid waste collection and disposal: or and equivalent combination of trained and experience.
Job starts at $14.00/hour. The city offers medical, dental, vision, and life insurance options, along with a lucrative retirement plan through Georgia Municipal Association
Submit a city application in person, by U.S. mail, or by email. Contact (229)294-7900 menu option 5 or City of Pelham, Attn Mrs. Donna Wills, 108 Hand Ave W, Pelham, GA 31779.