- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$47,274 - $70,911 annually (DOQ)
- Posted Date:04/16/2021
- Deadline to Apply:06/25/2021
This position, under the general supervision of the Director of Information Systems, is responsible for overseeing the City’s web presence including design, development, implementation, and maintenance of the Internet and Intranet web sites. Works closely with other Information Systems staff on application integration with City web sites, online communications policies, and user and information security for City web sites. Works closely with the City’s Community Relations Director and other departmental public information personnel to develop communications strategy and online content. Responsible for developing standards, training, and documentation for online communication and tools.
Essential Job Duties
Manage the design and development of the City’s Internet and Intranet web sites by:
- Planning, designing, developing, and upgrading City web applications and online communications tools to take advantage of advancements in functionality, reliability, and industry best practices. This includes being available during non-business hours, as needed, except for scheduled PTO
- Working with others to develop and implement the overall design of all of the City web sites and ensure consistent look, feel, and navigation of City web sites and web applications;
- Designing, developing, and selecting templates, graphics, and other visual elements for the City website, with the brand guidance of the Community Relations director;
- Evaluating and recommending tools and technologies for Internet and Intranet development and enhancement, and working with other Information Systems technical staff to develop and implement web based technical solutions for database applications.
- Ensuring that the City’s web sites adhere to accepted accessibility and design standards;
- Ensuring that the City’s web design effectively addresses browser and platform compatibility issues;
- Ensuring that the City’s web applications adapt appropriately to multiple viewport sizes and device types; and
- Overseeing the work of outside contractors or consultants working on web design projects.
Safeguard web site and content management system security and performance by:
- Working with hosting providers and contract developers, as needed, to implement web site upgrades and feature enhancements;
- Developing, reviewing, and analyzing web site activity reports to identify trends and issues and reporting the results to contributing departments periodically
- Monitoring web site security and working with the Information Systems technical staff and hosting providers to address security issues;
- Monitoring web site performance and system availability and working with the Information Systems technical staff and hosting providers to address performance issues;
- Working with hosting providers to ensure proper backups of City web sites to allow rapid recovery from failure or disaster to minimize the impact of these events on the organization.
- Selecting and implementing optimized search engine designs; and
- Developing and maintaining appropriate documentation for web site logic and coding as well as installation and operating procedures
Manage published web content on City and affiliated web sites by:
- Working with other Information Systems personnel to research and implement content management options;
- Providing information and training to City employees on the use of content management tools, web content policies and goals;
- Assisting departments in developing and publishing web content;
- Coordinating content updates with departments and external agencies; and
- Ensuring that published data is current and that all links function properly
Provide technical resource for developing web functionality by:
- Evaluating and recommending tools and technologies for Internet and Intranet development and enhancement;
- Working with other Information Systems technical staff to develop and implement web based technical solutions for database applications; and
- Developing functional specifications, writing RFPs, and recommending qualified vendors for web projects or initiatives.
Support the City’s overall strategic plan by:
- Participating in departmental and inter-departmental strategic planning sessions;
- Incorporating the City’s goals and objectives into a strategic plan for the development and maintenance of its web presence;
- Working with the City’s Community Relations Director to develop web usage, publication, and design policies that further the realization of the City’s goals;
- Working with City Administration and Communications Relations to develop City communications strategy and policy; and
- Working with other departments to plan and support web-based services that will allow them to achieve their goals
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Minimum Requirements of Position
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field required and three (3) years of experience in web development, web site administration, and managing various projects or an equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Proficient knowledge in personal computer skills, electronic mail, record keeping, database activity, and word processing
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices used in designing, implementing, and maintaining highly successful web sites and content management systems.
- Proficient in MS Windows environment and with standard office applications
- Considerable knowledge and ability to utilize web site development standards and languages.
Applications must be submitted online: www.smyrnaga.gov
* * * * The City of Smyrna is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *