The City of Norcross is looking to hire for the full-time position of Groundman
The purpose of this position is to perform work in connection with the construction and maintenance of overhead and underground power lines. This is an entry-level position on a career track within the Electric Department.
Theincumbent in this position will act as a general helper handling cables, conduit, and other materials as directed. Responsibilities include but are not limited to assisting in setting transformers, setting poles by shoveling or piking, filling anchor holes, and clearing undergrowth from right-of-way by using hand tools and/or saws.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Digs holes put down anchors and trim trees.
- Assists with assembly and attachment of braces and pins to cross-arms make-up guys and assists in setting poles.
- Uses hand lines in passing tools, equipment, and supplies to Apprentice and Journeyman Lineman.
- Assists in hanging transformers.
- Works as part of ground crew attaching transformers to supports.
- Uses ropes, blocks, shovels, wrenches, rules, pliers, connectors, and saws while running service lines.
- Handles trouble calls during bad weather, if necessary.
- Performs increasingly difficult and more skilled work approaching Apprentice level as the training period progresses.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
- The ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must comply with the U.S. Department of Transportation's Part 382 - Controlled Substances and Alcohol Use and Testing Policy.
- Possession of a valid Georgia Driver's License for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Must possess a CDL or be able to obtain it within 6 months of employment.
- Should have some knowledge of methods, materials, and tools used in construction and maintenance of power lines.
- Should have the ability to learn a wide variety of skilled tasks required in line construction and maintenance work.
- Should have the ability and willingness to acquire skills in climbing poles and working at moderate heights with high voltage lines.
- Should have the ability to learn and observe proper safety precautions, assist in first aid and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
- Must be able to obtain, within six months of employment, a valid Commercial Driver's License issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: starting at $24,356, Full benefits, EOE, DFW,
Interested applicants must submit a resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org; EEO/DFW
The City of Norcross is an Equal Opportunity Employer.