Department: Planning and Development
Job Summary: Assist with daily planning department tasks and with the management and coordination of the City’s land use planning activities including short range and comprehensive plan implementation, historic preservation, zoning and annexation. This position reports to the City Planner.
- Assists in the review of development proposals and site plans for conformance with codes, plans, and regulations.
- Conducts reviews of various development applications including plats, permits, site plans, sign permits, variance requests, and re-zonings while coordinating with staff and communicating with developers, to ensure compliance with City's development regulations and zoning codes and policies.
- Consult with citizens, department heads, and other officials of municipal, county, state, and federal governments in order to assist in the coordination of all phases of planning.
- Assists with the development and implementation of the City's Comprehensive Plan in accordance with state law and guidelines in an effort to facilitate the development of an effective comprehensive plan that is coordinated across governmental boundaries.
- Perform other current and long-range planning activities regarding growth management, transportation planning, zoning, annexation, etc, ensuring compliance with federal, state and local land use and zoning laws.
- Conducts research in specific or general project areas. Tasks may include writing and presenting formal and technical reports, working papers, and other correspondence.
- Collects a variety of statistical data and prepare reports and maps on topics such as census information, land use, tax base data, and occupancy rates.
- Writes or assists in writing a variety of ordinances and regulations relating to development controls.
- Provide assistance in development of annual departmental operating budgets, operating programs and work schedules necessary to implement planning & development objectives.
- Interprets and applies applicable state, county, city codes, ordinances and regulations as directed.
- Attend all assigned regularly scheduled meetings of the City Council, Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Represent the City on various boards, commissions, and special task forces
- Attend meetings, workshops and conferences pertaining to Planning and development.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of urban, regional, and community planning.
- Knowledge of governmental regulatory codes and guidelines pertaining to planning, zoning and development related activities. Knowledge of City regulations, ordinances and policies
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with government officials, City employees, the general public, citizens, developers, business leaders and others.
- Knowledge of basic techniques of residential and commercial development and construction management.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of research and data collection
- Statistical, algebraic, or geometric knowledge and ability to apply such knowledge in practical situations
- Knowledge of community civic organizations and available resources.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include MS Office, Internet, and GIS
- Ability to administer programs and projects in a timely and effective manner.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, or related field from an accredited college/university
- 1-3 years of municipal/governmental planning experience (preferred).
- General knowledge of planning and development principles, as well as basic knowledge of local government administration procedures, real estate practices, economic and community development practices.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Interested in applying? Please submit a letter of interest and resume/application to Human Resources at HR@cityofcartersville.org or in person at 1 N. Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30120. Please direct any questions to Human Resources 770-387-5685.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The City Planner and Director of Planning and Development assigns work in terms of departmental goals and objectives. Work is reviewed through conferences, reports, and observation of departmental activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include applicable federal and state laws, city ordinances, building codes and zoning regulations. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application. This position develops departmental guidelines.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied duties in economic and community development. The multitude and variety of tasks to be completed contribute to the complexity of the work.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to develop, coordinate and promote community development projects in the city. Successful performance promotes suitable economic and community development in the city.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, elected and appointed officials, Chamber of Commerce representatives, civic clubs and organizations, builders, developers, attorneys, real estate agents, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve problems, negotiate or settle matters, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed both in an office and outdoors. The employee may be exposed to dust, dirt, and occasional inclement weather.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position does not directly supervise other employees, but may provide direction to other department employees as directed by the City Planner and/or Director of Planning and Development.
The City of Cartersville is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected status.