The City of Cartersville is looking for a Regulatory Water Compliance Manager to provide senior level environmental compliance management and compliance activities associated with the oversight, project management and compliance audits for the Cartersville Water Department with respect to the Department’s Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater Permits.
The individual should have extensive working and regulatory knowledge of the federal and state laws:
- Safe Drinking Water Act
- Clean Water Act
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
- Industrial wastewater
- Compliance Assessments
- Manage environmental projects, conduct internal environmental and operational compliance auditing, prepare permit renewal applications for federal and state Safe Drinking Water Act and Clean Water Act.
- Schedule, oversight and verification of routine compliance submittals.
- Scoping, permitting, and oversight of ongoing, routine environmental compliance related to National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permits, including Industrial pretreatment and grease trap monitoring programs, Biosolids land application program, Surface Water Withdrawal, environmental water quality, Public Water Supply System Permits, including backflow prevention and cross-connection control program.
- Preparing, tracking and maintaining compliance related documentation and files.
- Confers with Department Director and staff, plant and engineering personnel, contractors and others as necessary to provide direction, answer questions, and resolve problems on routine compliance issues.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state environmental laws, rules and regulations, policies, practices and procedures related to public water supply, public sewer service, and regulated wastewater discharges necessary for the completion of routine responsibilities as described above.
- Demonstrated organizational and technical writing skills. Ability to comprehend, interpret and apply new and emerging environmental compliance laws, regulations and related information.
- Ability to perform necessary mathematical calculations and interpretation using statistical data. Ability to understand and interpret engineering and planning reports and related material.
Any combination of experience, education, and training that would provide the best-qualified candidates. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in a public utility which involves interfacing with a variety of governmental regulatory agencies, the community, and other related groups.
- P.E., or the ability to obtain within 6 months of employment preferred
- Minimum 8+ years of experience in a full-time regulatory compliance consulting role (10+ years preferred)
- Demonstrated high level of technical writing ability
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Excellent research skills, goal-oriented, and thoroughly professional
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work and possess a positive attitude
- Equivalent to graduation from college with a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Environmental Science or Engineering, or a related field.
- Training: Recent training such as academic courses and certification programs that are relevant to this job classification.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or other environmental related discipline
- Engineering degree preferred
- Master’s degree preferred
- License and certifications: Georgia Class C driver’s license and any Georgia Water or Wastewater certifications.
Willingness and ability to work the hours necessary to accomplish all job functions; be on call to respond to emergencies; travel and attend conferences, meetings, seminars and courses during work and non-work hours.
Interested in applying? Please submit a letter of interest and resume/application to Human Resources at HR@cityofcartersville.org or in person at 1 N. Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30120. Please direct any questions to Human Resources 770-387-5685.
The City of Cartersville is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected status.