The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Public Engagement Specialist. This is an entry-level position within the Communications Department. This position under the direction of the Director of Communications will be responsible for performing community engagement to promote, support and integrate community involvement into City governance, with a focus on Brookhaven’s community to include the Spanish-speaking community.
This position under the direction of the Director of Communications will be responsible for performing community engagement to promote, support and integrate community involvement into City governance. He/she will provide public relations support for the City of Brookhaven to improve timely and accurate distribution of information to the public. Will serve as one of the spokespersons for the Communication department as well as the City. This position requires a high degree of personal tact, effective communication skills and political awareness.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Develop and implement City procedures and protocol designed to engage Community input on various City programs and initiatives.
• Attends committee meetings and public gatherings to obtain information for and provide information concerning the City.
• Oversees development of community engagement plan intended for Spanish-speaking community.
• Provides creative writing and other technical assistance for a variety of materials including news releases, brochures and audio/video scripts.
• Assists in the maintenance of the City’s website content and design insuring accuracy, consistency and quality.
• Responds orally or in writing to inquiries and provide information for the public on services, facilities and programs.
• Establishes and maintains effective relationships with community leaders, City officials, the media and the public.
• Plans, develops and implements strategies and programs to help facilitate community involvement with City departments, programs and initiatives.
• Assists on planning events and special programs.
• Attend after-hours events and functions as needed.
• Obtain additional background through research (i.e., internet, interviews, client discussions, etc.).
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in journalism, public relations, marketing, communication or other related field.
• Two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in public relations, communications, journalism, marketing, media relations or closely related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would produce the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job.
• Proficiency in Spanish both reading and writing is required.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of computer, photographic and audio visual equipment.
• Knowledge of municipal government practices and operations.
• Knowledge of writing skills for newsletters, social media and other forms of communication.
• Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
• Skill in utilizing desktop publishing programs.
• Skill in public speaking and media interviews.
• Ability to use conflict resolution and negotiations techniques.
• Ability to research, gather, write and graphically present information and prepare it for publication.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to work under deadlines and stressful situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
• The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
• Employee may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.p >