TITLE: Community Development Agency Director GRADE: 149
DEPARTMENT: County Manager FLSA: Exempt
DIVISION: County Manager
REVIEWED BY: HUMAN RESOURCES DATE: Apr 2021
This is a management level position responsible for coordinating and overseeing the activities of the Community Development Agency. The Agency Director is responsible for overseeing the following departments - Engineering, Stormwater Management, Building Inspections, Development Services Center, Planning & Zoning, Roadway Capital Improvement Program and Public Works. Work is done under the direction of the County Manager.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directs and supervises staff, including organizing, selecting or recommending selection, training, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining, and terminating or recommending termination; prepares periodic employee performance evaluations.
- Assists the County Manager and Board of Commissioners in establishing County standards for development and infrastructure construction.
- Reviews and evaluates work performed by developers, engineers and contractors on county-funded and private development construction projects to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances; provides technical assistance to staff in the reviewing or inspection of county-funded and private development construction projects.
- Oversees enforcement of the County's stormwater management and flood control management ordinances.
- Acts as liaison for the County with regional agencies such as the Georgia Department of Transportation, Atlanta Regional Commission (Transportation and Stormwater), Georgia Environmental Protection Department (Stormwater), and FEMA (flood control).
- Develops, prepares and monitors budgets for Engineering, Stormwater Management, Building Inspections, Development Services Center, Planning & Zoning, Roadway Capital Improvement Program and Public Works; reviews and approves expenditures, and prepares financial forms and reports.
- Provides customer service for the area of responsibility, responding to inquiries from the County Manager, Board of Commissioners and the general public in regard to Agency functions and projects; represents the Community Development Agency at public meetings and prepares supporting documentation.
- Develop and monitor strong, professional customer service environment within all departments in Agency.
- Establish and maintain of Departmental and Agency goals and objectives.
- Works with Agencies and Departments to coordinate private development projects.
- Initiates new strategies to improve existing programs, provides advice to department heads, improves community relations, and encourages public involvement in the community.
- Guides and assists senior management in the execution of department and division business plans and programs; oversees implementation of plans to ensure adherence to organizational standards, policy and procedures, and to make adjustments as needed.
- Collaborates on development of departmental budgets; oversees and approves expenditures, and prepares financial forms and reports.
- Manages administrative matters such as preparation of correspondence, press releases, or newspaper and magazine articles for the Community Development Agency; conducting special studies; preparing routine or special reports; or providing for staff technical or professional growth.
- Conducts staff and other professional meetings and conferences to exchange information; attends technical or professional seminars or conferences to improve professional skills and/or to network; represents the area of responsibility on boards or committees.
Education and Experience
Requires a bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, or a closely related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
Requires ten years of increasingly responsible, closely related experience.
Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge and skills is acceptable.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Requires a valid State of Georgia Driver's License and satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record.
Licensed Professional Engineer (PE), preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Requires management level responsibility for application and interpretation of the policies regarding the provision of continuous enforcement of the laws and standards of public health and safety.
Requires responsibility for achieving major economies or preventing major losses through the management of a large department or through interpreting policy as legal counsel.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
Cherokee County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the County to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
REQUIREMENTS INCLUDED IN THIS CLASS SPECIFICATION MAY BE SUBJECT TO MODIFICATION IN ORDER TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE OTHERWISE QUALIFIED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB.