The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
This position manages event and promotions functions for the City of Avondale Estates and its Downtown Development Authority (DDA)’ and assists the DDA Executive Director in economic development activities.
1. Implement strategies and an annual work plan to facilitate economic development and revitalization, especially in the area defined as Downtown by the DDA’s charter, under the direction of the DDA Executive Director
2. Provide administrative support for the DDA including setting up and attending DDA board meetings, preparing packets and information for the DDA Board members, taking minutes, and meeting scheduling and reminders.
3. Execute DCA Main Street program and drive four pillars (Promotion, Organization, Economic Vitality, and Design) in the Central Business District (CBD) in conjunction with the DDA/Main Street board
4. Manage administration of the Main Street Program and Rural Opportunity Zone (ROZ), including preparing reports as required by the National Trust Main Street Center and the Department of Community Affairs.
5. Coordinate promotional events that highlight the Downtown; plan and produce events and festivals for Downtown, particularly those that support retail and other local businesses.
6. Recruit and provide volunteers management for City and DDA events
7. Conduct public awareness and education programs to support economic development and local businesses.
8. Implement communication and marketing efforts, including maintaining DDA websites, social media presence and regular email communications.
9. Implement City/DDA branding efforts
10. Maintain communication with Downtown stakeholders and serve as a liaison to the Avondale Estates Business Association.
11. Define and implement a placemaking and public art strategy for the City, including implementation of district-wide activation activities to bring life to public spaces such as holiday lighting, decorations, and banners.
12. Track the process and progress of economic development through microeconomic monitoring, maintaining real estate purchase and development data, collecting information on job creation and business retention, maintaining an inventory of available property, and creating and maintaining a prioritized business recruitment target list.
13. Provide property management, including tenant relations, for DDA owned properties
14. Coordinate DDA capital project management with DDA and City Staff
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
1. Knowledge of Georgia Main Street reporting and membership guidelines.
2. Knowledge of the Department of Community Affairs Rural Opportunity Zone Program Reporting and Administration.
3. Knowledge of public relations and marketing principles and practices.
4. Knowledge of placemaking and public art best practices
5. Knowledge of economic development tools, principles, and practices.
6. Knowledge of laws, regulations, and guidelines applicable to Georgia Development Authorities.
7. Knowledge of city departments, programs, events, and services.
8. Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
9. Skill in graphic design.
10. Skill in event management
11. Skill in volunteer recruitment and management
12. Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
13. Skill in the management of social media and websites.
14. Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
15. Skill in oral and written communication.
The Assistant City Manager for Economic Development/DDA Executive Director assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include city policies and procedures, Georgia Main Street guidelines, and state law governing Development Authorities. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of varied duties related to events, promotions, and other economic development activities. Changing priorities contribute to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to manage event and promotion functions for the city. Success in this position contributes to the successful distribution of important information to the public and to the economic development of the City.
• Contacts are typically with City employees, members of the DDA, business owners, representatives of community groups, event planners, vendors, developers, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to justify or settle matters, to motivate persons, or to resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects and distinguishes between shades of color.
• The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
• Baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field required.
• More than three years of related experience required.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.