This position is responsible for administering and managing Augusta-Richmond County’s employee and retiree benefits programs within the guidelines of federal and state laws and the Augusta-Richmond County Commission-Council Policy and Procedure Manual, to include retirement plans, wellness programs, and insurance policies such as health, life, and disability. Reports to the Human Resources Director and works with co-workers, the Administrator, employees, employee organizations, attorneys, health related vendors, benefits consultants and other individuals as needed to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, organizes, and manages daily operations of the employee benefits program: establishes goals and objectives; reviews operational procedures and revises for efficiency and improved service; ensures that subordinates have the proper resources needed to complete the assigned work; monitors status of work in progress and reviews completed work; consults with assigned staff to assist with complex/problem situations and provide technical expertise; reviews and evaluates statistical data relevant to functional operations; and provides progress and activity reports to department director.
- Administrates and evaluates benefits plans for employees and retirees, to include health, dental, prescription drug benefit, and related supplemental benefits: oversees and manages requests for proposals (RFPs) for benefits related contracts; participates in the selection of benefits providers; and oversees contract compliance and invoice processing. Prepares benefits communications; coordinates benefits enrollment events; audits retirement/pension calculations; reviews eligibility; and ensures compliance with state and federal laws related to benefits compliance.
- Administrates Consolidated Government Family & Medical Leave policy: ensures proper interpretation, compliance, and implementation of related local, state and federal regulations; reviews reports and certifications from medical providers; makes determinations regarding leave eligibility and return to work status; and tracks and maintains related information and documentation.
- Serves as subject matter expert in employee benefits administration: advises and confers with managers and Consolidated Government administration; interprets benefits policies and participates in related policy development; maintains knowledge of regulations governing benefits and payroll compliance; and guides special projects and initiatives within assigned functional area.
- Manages the wellness center and health risk assessments: approves purchases; coordinates risk assessment events; coordinates service development related to risk assessment results; and manages wellness center membership enrollment and cancellation.
- Maintains current comprehensive knowledge of applicable laws/regulations; maintains an awareness of new products, methods, trends, and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree, Associate’s Degree, or High School Diploma based on experience.
Experience: Five (5) years of experience with Bachelor’s Degree, seven (7) years with Associate’s Degree, or nine (9) years with High School Diploma in benefits administration. Three (3) years of supervisory experience in management preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and participate in the management of comprehensive benefits and worker’s compensation programs.
- Considerable knowledge in benefits, worker’s compensation, and retirement.
- Considerable knowledge with the concepts of self-funded benefit plans
- Ability to utilize in-house HRIS tools to create new job codes or modify existing ones as needed.
- Mastery of interpreting relevant federal, state and local ordinances governing human resources administration and management to include FMLA, HIPAA, ADA, etc.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office suite and ability to develop organizational charts.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, lead or guide others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Ability to write reports and make presentations before a large audience.
- Strong people skills.
Certification/Licensing: HRCI, HRMI or SHRM Certification preferred