The City of Fairburn has the following position available:
Groundskeeper Maintenance Worker
SCHEDULE: Normal operation hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; hours may vary - evenings and weekends, as needed.
The Groundskeeper Maintenance Worker is a non-exempt, hourly position responsible for grounds keeping, maintenance and repair duties for the City’s parks and athletic fields. The incumbent is responsible for performing routine maintenance and inspections of all landscaping in the parks. These tasks involve the ability to exert moderate physical effort and safe operation of light and medium duty equipment. The Groundskeeper Maintenance Worker is expected to perform assigned activities without detailed instructions as to specific procedures to be followed and must maintain professionalism and courtesy while exposed to potential stressful situations associated with departmental operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under general supervision:
- Performs care of grounds and landscapes by mowing grounds and rights-of-way. seeding, watering, mulching, fertilizing, and applying chemicals to outside plantings, lawns and turf, as well as flowers and cuttings; inspecting plant materials for insects, disease, physical and mechanical damage and identifying replacements; transplanting, pruning, trimming, and cultivating trees, shrubs, ground cover and flowers; and storing and caring for bulbs and cuttings in the winter season.
- Performs regular and directed grounds and landscape maintenance by mowing grasses with riding or push mowers; trimming and edging around trees, shrub ground covers, flowers, sidewalks and buildings; weeding, thinning and cleaning flower beds and other grounds by hand or utilizing proper tools and equipment; and setting up, adjusting, repairing and cleaning irrigation systems.
- Maintains a record of grounds and landscape watering and chemical spraying by keeping daily logs of areas watered and duration of watering and application of chemicals, including areas sprayed, amount and type of chemicals used, substances sprayed and reason, and the wind speed and direction at time of spraying.
- On a daily basis, removes unsightly trash and debris from public areas by regularly inspecting grounds, drains, etc., for debris; rakes, sweeps and bags leaves, debris, dirt and trash from sidewalks, parking lots, and transporting the trash to designated collection points.
- Reduces the likelihood for the spread of diseases and unsightly appearance of trash containers in public areas by emptying, cleaning and disinfecting trash and cigarette receptacles, and dog waste stations on a regular basis; removes, repairs and installs trash and cigarette receptacles and dog waste bags on an as needed basis.
- Ensures dog litter receptacles are replaced and all drinking water fountains are cleaned on a regular basis.
- Performs assigned custodial duties including, but not limited to, the cleaning of restrooms and maintaining adequate restroom supplies.
- Applies chemicals used in grounds keeping (horticulture, turf management, and floriculture) properly and safely by wearing prescribed protective clothing, masks, and/or rubber gloves and boots, following either written or verbal directions for mixing chemical compounds according to specifications, applying the chemicals properly on grounds and landscapes designated for their use, and disposing of residual chemical products, as directed, or storing and labeling them for future use.
- Safely operates light vehicles such as pick-up trucks, tractors, riding mowers, golf carts and portable power tools and equipment such as saws, grass trimmers, leaf blowers, sprayers, and other grounds keeping equipment by obeying applicable traffic laws and following operator instructions, and wearing appropriate safety items such as goggles, gloves, or other appropriate protective clothing.
- Ensures all grounds maintenance equipment are operational by performing routine preventative maintenance.
- Performs assigned custodial services following established procedures and guidelines in buildings, restrooms, etc., on days that weather affects performing work outside.
- Performs other work-related duties, as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- One or more years previous experience performing landscape maintenance work.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Possess a valid Georgia driver’s license and a satisfactory DMV record.
- Satisfactory background screening.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of vehicles, equipment and tools required and necessary to perform job duties.
- Ability to identify and eradicate disease or insect damage to plant and surf materials.
- Ability to monitor facility for trash and debris cleanup and to perform maintenance.
- Ability to ensure facility space including floors, decks, restrooms, and sidewalks are kept clean.
- Ability to read, write legibly, and perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and patrons.
- Ability to work multi-task with minimum supervision.
Supervisory Controls: The incumbent performs duties under the general supervision of the Parks and Recreation Supervisor and may also receive work assignments from the Director.
Guidelines: Guidelines include, in addition to adherence to City Personnel Policy, Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and standards pertaining to Parks and Recreation.
Complexity: Work requires judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Work requires the ability to think and follow instructions, guidelines, policies, standards, and procedures.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to maintain the City of Fairburn’s parks, grounds and park facilities.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers, city employees, vendors and the public.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically made to give and exchange information, resolve problems and provide services.
Physical Demands: The incumbent is regularly required to perform duties of manual dexterity. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed outside in an environment involving exposure to unusual environmental stress that require a range of safety and other precautions. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, reflective vests and/or other protective devices.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: None.
To apply for this position go to our website www.fairburn.com. Should you have any questions contact Abril Montano in the HR Department 770 964-2244 x111.
This position will close on 07/07/2021