The City of Decatur
Has an opening for a dynamic Human Resources Benefits Specialist who will focus on:
Benefits programs and vendor management, Health and Wellness Initiatives
Compensation $48,048.00 - $54,371.00 DOQ
Position reports to the Human Resources Director
Interested candidates should apply online at https://www.decaturga.com/hr/page/current-job-opportunities
Human Resources Benefits Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Human Resources Benefits Specialist serves as the subject matter expert on the City's rich benefits programs. With excellent customer service, this position is responsible for administering all aspects of our comprehensive benefits program, including insurance, workers' compensation, FMLA, health, and wellness initiatives, and be responsible for assisting in the administration of retirement and health and welfare employee benefit programs. Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal regulations. Compiles, analyzes, and reports data, including strategic benefits planning and evaluation. The HR Benefits Specialist will provide benefit plan interpretation, guidance, and counsel to employees and managers. They will also present information to inform and educate management and liaise with service providers in planning and benefits programs. Work closely with the Payroll Clerk with managing all vendor billing, EEO4 Reporting, annual audit reporting, and other reporting.
- Administer various employee benefits programs, such as group health, dental and vision, accident and disability, life insurance, voluntary retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, and wellness benefits.
- Conduct benefits orientations and explains the City's self-enrollment system.
- Maintain employee benefits filing systems and ensure benefits changes are entered appropriately in the payroll deduction payroll system.
- Assist employees with health, dental, life, FMLA issues, and other related benefit claims while maintaining confidentiality.
- With assistance from the Administrative Assistant, will administer the tuition reimbursement program and the workers' compensation program.
- Generate benefit reports quarterly or more frequently as requested by HR Director in ADP.
- Verify the calculation of the monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies and maintain statistical data relative to premiums, claims, and costs. Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Ensures processes and procedures are in place to capture and maintain consistent and accurate benefit-related data. Conduct employee data auditing and reporting annually or more frequently as needed.
- Assist the City's audit team by providing employee payroll and benefits record information and answering questions related to the audit team's data.
- Researches current benefit trends and regulatory/legislated requirements and recommends programs/changes to the HR Director.
- Provides guidance and counsel to employees and managers on the requirements and provisions of benefit programs and assists with resolving potential problems.
- Facilitate the annual Open Enrollment process to include the design and communication of yearly benefit enrollment materials.
- Compiles analyzes and reports benefit data, including employee, benefit plan, and financial for benefit's strategic planning and evaluation, best practices, and benchmark surveys.
- Coordination of benefit events, including health fairs, open enrollment, and flu shot clinics
- In conjunction with the third-party administrator, you will coordinate workers' compensation claims.
- Follow up on requests promptly.
- Assist HR Director with quarterly Random Drug Screening notifications.
- Assist the HR Director in obtaining statistics and information in the renewal process of any health, life, and retirement plans that benefit the City.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings designed to help employees obtain information and understand benefit elections and other related incentive programs. Ensure distribution of required employee notices.
- Lead the Wellness Committee by coordinating wellness program initiatives and wellness events.
- This position also serves as a wellness champion, keeping abreast of current national wellness and wellbeing initiatives and activities.
- Prepare and maintain biweekly employee reports, new-hire, and absentee reports.
- May be asked to perform other duties as assigned.
Competencies & Skills:
- They will have demonstrated basic knowledge of employee benefits programs, including flexible benefit programs, financial analysis, and budgeting.
- This role requires vital customer service, communication, analytical, and writing skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Project management experience to oversee various projects and must be comfortable working independently and making recommendations to the HR Director.
- Must be a problem solver.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take the initiative.
- Must remain open to change and new information and ideas and adapt to the same. Must encourage and foster cooperation and teamwork.
- Ability to multi-task.
Required Education and Experience:
- Be knowledgeable of the employee benefits program, including flexible benefit programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or related field with an emphasis in business or finance, or equivalent year's professional/analytical experience related to the above-described duties.
- The ideal candidate will possess three to five years of related benefits or employee benefits administration experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), PHR Professional in Human Resources.
- A benefits-specific certification.
- Prior experience with self-funded benefits programs is strongly preferred.