The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Job Summary: This position is responsible for manual work of a routine nature that involves heavy physical labor as a member of a residential solid waste crew. Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Street/ Solid Waste Manager.
• Picks up curb side house hold items and cleans debris from collection sites City wide;
• Assists in semi-skilled work by handling tools, carrying or lifting lumber, mixing or placing cement and asphalt concrete, performing simple repairs or running errands;
• Performs a variety of other heavy manual work in connection with solid waste pick up routes daily;
• Collects and disposes of debris, trash, etc. caused by City jobs;
• May at times assist with cutting grass around public buildings and right-of-way’s;
• Operates weed eater and other grounds maintenance equipment on occasion;
• Maintains and repairs City equipment as instructed by supervisor;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
• Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures;
• Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety rules and regulations;
• Knowledge of solid collection procedures and applicable codes pertaining to collection;
• Skill in performing general equipment maintenance duties on vehicle, daily check sheet;
• Ability to interpret instructions and efficiently carry them out with minimal supervision;
• Ability to perform heavy manual labor;
• Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with residential customers and the general public;
• Ability to follow necessary safety precautions in all areas of assignment, and duties.
Supervisory Controls: The Street/Solid Waste Manager assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks work in progress and reviews completed work for the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines: Guidelines include City codes, departmental and safety policies and
procedures, and supervisory instructions. These guidelines are clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity: The work consists mainly of related solid waste collection and some light duty limited street maintenance duties, such as filling small pot holes, moving barricades, etc.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to maintain solid waste collection and minimal light road patching during light pickup days. Successful performance helps ensure timely collection of solid wastes at home sites throughout the City, safe and clean streets after pick up of items and a positive public image for the City.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers and residents.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically accessed to exchange information and provide services.
Physical Demands: The work is typically performed with the employee intermittently sitting, standing, walking, and bending, crouching or stooping. The employee must frequently lift light and heavy objects, climb ladders, and use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed outdoors. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, irritating chemicals, machinery with moving parts, and occasional inclement weather. This work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles or gloves.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: None.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or equivalent required; valid State of Georgia Driver's License; equivalent combination of education and experience.p >