Job Summary: A Water Distribution Crew Leader provides on-site supervision to a work crew engaged in the installation, construction, maintenance and repairs of the City’s water mains, services, valves and fire hydrants and wastewater services and mains. Water Distribution Crew Leader may function as an equipment operator on a crew. This would also require being responsible for ensuring that the job is completed efficiently, effectively and that the quantity and quality of the work conforms with established guidelines and procedures. Water Distribution Crew Leader will respond to emergency calls as required.
- Overseeing a crew to perform a full range of general repair duties related to the City’s water distribution system: repair broken water lines including transmission mains, distribution mains and residential and commercial water service lines; performs hot taps under pressure; disinfects new water pipes or parts used for repairs and utilizes other proper repair techniques to provide sanitary water to the public.
- Overseeing a crew to perform a full range of system maintenance duties including to install and maintain all appurtenances associated with water distribution system; maintains and replaces commercial and residential fire hydrants; installs new and maintain existing blow off valves used to flush water to maintain quality.
- Overseeing a crew to perform a full range of general maintenance duties including to clean and maintain properties that are part of the water system; maintain vegetation and overall cleanliness of pressure regulators vaults, sewer mains and fire hydrants.
- Overseeing a crew to perform meter maintenance and exchange duties; repairs leaks, tests and replaces water meters of various sizes; installs new meter service lines for newly developed properties; reads meters and performs shut-offs as required.
- Overseeing a crew repairing asphalt and concrete after repairs to water distribution system; makes temporary street patches as necessary.
- Operates a variety of vehicles, equipment and tools including service trucks, dump trucks, sewer trucks, backhoe, concrete and asphalt cutting saws, jackhammer, soil compacting tamper and hand and power tools; loads and unloads vehicles and equipment.
- Serves in emergency standby capacity; provides customer service and performs all aspects of distribution system maintenance and repair during after hour periods including holidays and weekends.
- Expected to exercise considerable initiative and independent judgement to ensure the safety of the crew and the general public, as well as the effective and efficient utilization of all equipment, materials, supplies and personnel assigned for each work site.
- Responsible for all inventory and orders of material and equipment needed.
- Maintains records of basic operations, maintenance and work performed.
- Responsible for providing performance information and reviews of crew to the Distribution Manager.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Operational characteristics of water distribution system.
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of material commonly used in construction, maintenance and repair activities as related to assigned areas.
- Operational characteristics of maintenance and construction equipment and tools used in work activities.
- Skills in performing various manual labor assignments as needed.
- Ability to interpret instructions and efficiently carry them out with general supervision.
- Ability to perform tasks involving heavy manual labor.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, the general public and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
Supervisory Controls: The Distribution Manager assigns work. Work is spot-checked in progress and reviewed with completed for accuracy, nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines: Guidelines include City and departmental safety policies and procedures, as well as supervisory instructions. These guidelines are clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity: The work consists of related water and sewer duties.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to perform water and sewer heavy, manual labor. Successful performance helps ensure safe and efficient Public Works services, as well as a positive public image for the City.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically accessed to exchange information and provide services.
Physical Demands: The work is typical performed with the employee intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee must frequently lift light and heavy objects, equipment and material, climb ladders and use tools or equipment requiring a moderate degree of dexterity.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed outdoors. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt irritating chemicals, machinery with moving parts, and occasional hot, cold or inclement weather. This work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, headwear or gloves.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: Supervision of a crew during daily operations.
High school diploma or equivalent; valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Two (2) years of experience with installation, construction maintenance and repairs of water and sewer mains, services, valves, fire hydrants and wastewater services.
State of Georgia Water Distribution Operator License
Level 1A Soil Erosion Blue Card
Trench Excavation/Competent Person Certificate
Department of Transportation Flagger Certificate
Attend Collection System Operator and Maintenance Training
State of Georgia Collection Systems Operator and Maintenance License