Position: Mechanic I (FT) Department: Fleet Maintenance
Salary Range: $16.69-$17.89/hour FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Posting Date: May 04, 2021 Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position is responsible for repairing and maintaining a variety of vehicles and equipment.
Additional + $1.50/hour CDL B or $2.00/hour CDL A Stipend
Description of Duties:
- Performs engine, exhaust, electrical, brake, and transmission repairs on all county vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Conducts scheduled preventive maintenance functions, including checking the condition and operation of batteries,
- tires, lights, transmissions, exhaust systems, and brakes.
- Performs preventive maintenance by checking antifreeze, belts, batteries, brakes, lights, hydraulic systems, tires and safety equipment on a variety of gasoline- and diesel-powered equipment, including bulldozers, motor graders, backhoes, tractors, dump trucks, and mowing tractors.
- Performs corrective maintenance procedures on heavy equipment, including transmission, hydraulic, electrical, paint and body, and various degrees of engine repair.
- Performs vehicle and equipment maintenance procedures such as tune-ups, oil and filter changes, and heating and air conditioning repair.
- Performs a variety of engine diagnosis procedures.
- Performs emergency repairs on vehicles as necessary; troubleshoots equipment failures at job sites and at the landfill.
- Welds and fabricates parts.
- Maintains the shop and assigned tools
- May repair and paint damaged parts on vehicles and equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position. Usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or has had a similar position for one year.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The successful candidate must pass a Background/Reference Check, and Pre-Employment Drug Screenings prior to the start of employment.
Habersham County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: All applicants must complete a Habersham County employment application. Applications can be found online at www.habershamga.com. Applications and a detailed job description can be picked up at the Habersham County Human Resources Department, Administration Building located at 130 Jacob’s Way, Clarkesville, GA 30523 in room 303. For more information please call (706) 839-0214.