DEPARTMENT: Customer Service, City of Cartersville
JOB SUMMARY: Provide information and assistance to utility customers regarding utility accounts and accurately collecting/receiving/accounting of payments for all City Departments.
- Provide scheduling flexibility for Customer Service Division by performing Customer Service and Cashier duties/responsibilities as scheduled/needed.
- Establish new customer accounts, including deposit/fee collection, explaining utility policies/procedures, payment procedures, etc.
- Maintain customer accounts from establishment of new account until account closed; insuring first and final bill notices sent.
- Resolve customer billing problems: correcting account files, executing payment plans for delinquent accounts
- Maintain contact with energy assistance agencies as needed to assist customers.
- Collect utility bill payments from customers at cashier transaction counter and drive through window.
- Apply payments using PC software application to proper accounts; Balance cash/payment received, resolving any discrepancies.
- Prepare receipt totals for daily bank deposit.
- Balance petty cash drawer and maintain cash voucher record as necessary.
- Communicate with Utility Service Workers regarding payments received for delinquent accounts.
- Process new commercial accounts, including tap fees, charges, and deposits.
- Open/post/close deposit batches on a daily basis, insuring batches balance.
- Process refund checks to customers as necessary.
- Verify customer and service addresses; Compose correspondence letters to customers as needed.
- Complete work orders in the system on a daily basis; Correct crossed meter errors.
- Assign route identifications to new meter locations; installs meters to new location; completes related paperwork.
- Processes outgoing mail.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of city and departmental policies and procedures pertaining to utility billing.
- Knowledge of water, sewerage, gas, refuse and electrical rates and charges.
- Knowledge of computerized utility billing systems.
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping practices.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and various accounting and word processing software programs.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Skill in oral, written, and interpersonal communication.
- High School Diploma (or equivalence) required;
- Associates Degree in Business, Accounting, or other business-related degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a Customer Service and/or Cashier/Cash Collections environment, preferably with a Utility.
- Demonstrated ability to use Utility accounting/billing software.
- Experience in resolving customer concerns/issues.
Interested in applying? Please submit a letter of interest and resume in PDF format only to Human Resources in person at 1. North Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30120 or email documents to HR@CityofCartersville.org. Please call Human Resources at 770-387-5685 if you have any questions about how to apply.
The City of Cartersville is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected status.