School Resource Officer
Pay Grade: 109
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position performs a full range of law enforcement and management duties in the City of Commerce Police Department and the local Commerce City School System.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists school administration with decisions made about school operation during severe weather incidents.
- Assists school administration with preparation of incident response plans.
- Assists the patrol division with answering calls for service when relieved of duties at the schools or dependent on the severity of the call.
- Assists training officers with department training as it relates to responding to incidents at the schools.
- Assists with operations of municipal court and be prepared to give court testimony in municipal, state or superior court.
- Completes incident reports, accident reports, juvenile complaints and reports as they pertain to situations arising within the schools and forward them to the proper destinations.
- Enforces state and local traffic laws by initiating traffic stops and issuing citations/warning.
- Enforces state law and city ordinances within the schools and assist school administrators with enforcing some school policy and meeting with parents in reference to a student's behavior/conduct on school grounds.
- Improves public relations between law enforcement and the youth in the community by participating in campus activities, student organizations and giving classroom presentations when requested.
- Provides and coordinate law enforcement security at school extracurricular activities (i.e. athletic events, dances, graduation etc.)
- Provides daily law enforcement security and services to the four school campuses and more.
- Provides traffic direction at multiple locations to assist the schools with traffic flow during student/teacher arrival and release.
- Secures crime scene and collect evidence pertaining to the case.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Georgia P.O.S.T. Certification, P.O.S.T. certified School Resource Officer training class.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computers for data entry, word processing, and technical applications.
- Ability to use telephones, copiers, and printers.
Must be able to balance, climb, crawl, crouch, kneel, stand and walk. Must be able to lift, push, pull, and reach. Must have hand and arm movement. Must have hearing and visual acuity, mental acuity, and the ability to speak.
Work is typically completed both indoors and outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions