Pickens County Georgia has a job opening for a Governmental Accounting Generalist in the Finance Department. This position reports to the Finance Director or their designee, this position is responsible for a general portfolio of clerical accounting and fiscal control tasks, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, accounts monitoring and general accounting processes.
- Balances and reconciles accounting records, statements, journals, ledgers, or reports.
- Collects fees or revenues, disburses payments and posts to appropriate accounts.
- Compiles and maintains records and files.
- Performs routine accounting, clerical, billing, and/or claims processing duties for assigned accounts.
- Responds to inquires to solve routine accounting problems.
- Prepares requested materials for audits of financial data or records.
- Processes or records financial transactions such as accounts payable and receivable, payroll, invoices, or requisitions in a ledger or computer system.
- Provides information to third parties such as banks, auditors, vendors, and governmental entities.
- Verifies the accuracy of information to be billed, tracks account activity, bills consumers and resolves billing inquiries.
- May analyze financial reports to assess compliance.
- May compile and prepare standard accounting reports.
- May monitor individual department budgets or expenditures and identifies budget variances.
- Prepares various Excel spreadsheets in relation to other duties.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Skill in basic accounting
- Ability to verify calculations, requests, and other information for processing.
- Skill in preparing Excel spreadsheets and Word documents.
- Ability to record revenues and expenditures in databases.
- Ability to query and balance budgets with monthly reports.
The Finance Director or their designee assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and county, state, and federal ordinances, policies, and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied accounting duties. Strict regulations and the need for accuracy contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide financial accounting support for the county’s financial operations. Successful performance ensures the efficiency and effectiveness of those operations.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other county employees, tenants, vendors, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending, or crouching. The employee may lift light and occasionally heavy objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- High School diploma or equivalent and two years of experience performing accounting and/or fiscal control functions; or an Associate Degree in a business curriculum or related field.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Pickens County, Georgia, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.