The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
CITY OF JASPER
A. IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION
1. Job Title: SANITATION COLLECTOR FULL TIME
2. Department: Sanitation Division: N/A
3. FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt Pay Grade: Starting pay is 27,040
B. INTRODUCTORY STATEMENT
This position performs duties related to removing and hauling garbage and maintaining city streets, grounds and infrastructure.
C. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Picks up and loads garbage bags onto trucks on assigned route.
2. Mows and weed-eats parks, ballfields and rights-of-way.
3. Edges sidewalks.
4. Blows leaves from sidewalks and parking lots.
5. Prunes trees and shrubs.
6. Maintains landscaping; installs mulch.
7. Collects litter from right-of-way.
8. Clears and removes litter and debris from storm drains.
9. Installs and maintains street signs and pavement markings.
10. Performs asphalt repairs; patches potholes on city streets.
11. Pours, repairs and finishes concrete.
12. Assists in preparations for special city events.
13. Maintains and repairs city facilities and properties, as assigned.
14. Assists in the maintenance of department tools and equipment.
15. Assists with storm clean-up activities.
16. Performs other related duties as assigned.
D. JOB FACTOR SPECIFICATIONS
1. Job Requirements
a. Knowledge Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of the techniques, equipment and procedures used in the maintenance of streets, parks, cemeteries, sidewalks and stormwater.
2. Knowledge of city and department policies and procedures.
3. Knowledge of the geography of the city, including street names and locations.
4. Knowledge of equipment operation and maintenance principles.
5. Skill in the operation and management of a variety of equipment and vehicles.
6. Skill in customer service.
7. Skill in prioritizing and planning.
8. Skill in interpersonal relations.
9. Skill in oral and written communication.
a. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
3. Personal Work Relationships
a. Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, community service workers and the general public.
b. Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems and provide services.
4. Physical Effort and Work Environment
a. The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools and equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color and utilizes the sense of smell.
b. The work is typically performed outdoors, sometimes in cold and inclement weather. The employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts and possible hazardous substances. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
a. Guidelines include city and department policies and procedures, safety regulations, operation manuals, relevant state laws and traffic laws. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
6. Complexity and Scope of Work
a. The work consists of related maintenance duties. Heavy traffic and inclement weather contribute to the complexity of the work.
b. The purpose of this position is to participate in the delivery of sanitation services to city residents and business owners. Successful performance contributes to safe, attractive and well-maintained city infrastructure.
7. Minimum Qualifications
a. Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
b. Experience sufficient to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of one or two years in a similar position.
8. Supervisory Controls
a. The Sanitation Supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy and the nature and propriety of the final results.