Pay Grade: 107
Job Code: TBD
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The person in this position is responsible for issuing permits for approved construction permit applications and providing general clerical support for both the division and the department. Responsible for collecting, maintaining and assisting the public with all related documentation necessary for building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and grading permit applications in the Building Inspections Division of the Community Development Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for issuance and/or tracking of all building permits through the permitting process, beginning with the application acceptance, plan review, inspections and permit closure
- Processes permits for approved building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and grading permit applications
- Assures that the application forms are fully completed by the applicant
- Completes the necessary portions of the application forms
- Verifies that applicants are properly licensed.
- Records permit application information in a computerized database
- Verifies that necessary departmental approvals are obtained before issuing permits
- Records permit information, and sends appropriate copies
- Calculates permit fees and submits all calculated fees to the appropriate personnel
- Logs, maintains, and updates permit records on the computerized database
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual permit activity reports for the division
- Communicates with engineers, architects, developers, builders, and citizens over the telephone and in person and directs them to the appropriate personnel
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a high school graduate or GED. Demonstrated work experience interfacing directly with customers to solve customer problems is required. Three (3) years experience in secretarial and various office related work or an equivalent combination of education and experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Municipal experience a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must possess solid knowledge of local building code regulations, polices, procedures, and terminology used within the work environment.
- Must have the ability to type accurately at a 40 wpm utilizing technical terminology and composition skills.
- Thorough knowledge of current office practices, methods and procedures.
- Basic computer skills.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word.
- Basic knowledge of MS Excel.
- Must possess the ability to positively interact with the other staff members, the general public, contractors, governmental entities, and other clientele.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing to a diverse group of customers.
- Thorough knowledge of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Excellent proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative and a considerable amount of independent judgment.
- Good attention to detail skills.
- Self-directed and self-motivated
- ICC Permit Technician certification is required within first 6 months (city-sponsored).
The work is medium work and requires balancing, climbing, crouching, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, reaching, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
The incumbent works in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.