The City of Fairburn has the following position available:
REPORTS TO: Electric Department Superintendent
This is a non-exempt, hourly position. The Electric Groundman has a primary focus of assisting the Electric Lineman in the installing, maintaining, and servicing of electrical systems for the citizens and customers of the City of Fairburn.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be performed.
Incumbents in this classification must possess and maintain a valid class B (CDL) Georgia driver’s license; maintain professionalism and courtesy when exposed to stressful situations; and may be required to work outside their regularly scheduled hours, and to be available for emergency and/or pre-arranged work, whenever called upon.
Under general supervision of an Electric Lineman:
- Drives a line truck, pole truck or combination of both and trailer, as a major and regular assignment.
- Receives daily assignments and stand-by rotation duties from the Electric Superintendent.
- Transports electric personnel, materials and equipment to and from work sites.
- Operates power-driven equipment on truck for raising and lowering heavy equipment or materials.
- Maintains cleanliness and servicing of truck; responsible for loading truck.
- Fills-out product and material reports for the Electric Superintendent.
- Keeps all truck stock at levels necessary for efficient operation of crew.
- Performs more routine non-skilled jobs connected with construction and maintenance of electrical distribution facilities.
- Performs heavy physical labor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
- No experience required.
- One (1) to five (5) years electrical-utility experience, preferred.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED.
- Valid Class B (CDL) Georgia Driver’s License, required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Considerable ability to learn:
- Methods, tools, equipment, and materials used in electrical installation and repair work and in the construction and maintenance of electrical distribution safety practices and regulations applying to low and high voltage electrical wires.
- Pertinent first-aid principles and techniques including resuscitation methods.
- Work from electrical plans and detailed drawings.
Good ability to:
- Perform electrical installation and repair work and to construct and maintain electric distribution and transmission lines.
- Think and act appropriately and quickly in emergencies.
- Follow complex verbal instructions.
- Maintain good public relations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, and others.
Satisfactory ability to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively in English in person and over the telephone.
- Demonstrate sensitivity, tact, and excellent customer service while interacting with co-workers, vendors, and the general public.
- Learn to operate personal computer hardware and software associated with electrical activities.
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Exercise sound and effective judgment within established guidelines.
- Organize, coordinate, and complete duties to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Perform routine mathematical calculations.
- Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Lift and carry objects weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The work is typically performed outside in extreme temperatures for extended periods of time. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, low and high voltage electrical wires, and other related conditions. The work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, reflective vests and/or other protective devices.
To apply for this position, please go to our webiste www.fairburn.com. Should you have any questions contact Abril Montano in the HR Department 770 964-2244 x111.
This position will close on 12/31/2021