The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Department: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICE
Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Rate of Pay: $57,629.06 - $77,222.94
The purpose of this classification is to write, edit press releases, organizational brochures, public service announcements, speeches, articles, and social media post. Performs professional marketing work, communicates through many types of media, and coordinates information flow to the public on a broad range of City programs, activities, and services. Distinguishing features of an employee in this class writes, edits, plans, and coordinates a wide variety of documents, media, and programs to inform and educate citizens, promote the city, and increase positive media exposure. Employee prepares marketing campaigns, e-newsletters, news releases, reports, articles, brochures, and fliers; using the website and other social media to engage citizens; and coordinating the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications plan for the city. Work involves considerable broad contact with the public, city officials, and city staff. The employee works under regular supervision of the City Manager. Work is reviewed by inspection, accuracy, effectiveness, evaluations, and conferences. Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Writes, edits, lays out, and coordinates electronic distribution and limited printing of a variety of newsletters, reports, brochures, fliers, etc.; prepares or acquires graphic materials as needed; writes and distributes press releases and newspaper articles; prepares city staff and elected officials for media interviews, and handles media relations.
· Implements branding and marketing plan for the city in coordination with Downtown Manager and Economic Development Planner; works with vendors to prepare ads and publications; creates marketing material distribution strategies.
· Serves as webmaster for the city, coordinates development of website with vendors. Keeps website current. Coordinate’s work of all city departments regarding city’s website and social media sites. Trains employees in website posting, editing, and updating. Posts minutes, agendas, news stories, calendar items, photos, etc.
· Creates newcomer packages and plans strategies for distribution.
· Devises new marketing and promotion programs for the city.
· Attends a wide variety of city functions such as charettes, board meetings, special events and downtown business events to help communicate and promote them, devises marketing plans for various events and city activities. Required to attend some city events and/or meetings that occur after normal business hours.
· Provides direct information to citizens; creates a data base on citizen inquiries to identify trends on informational needs and identifies ways to systemize them.
· Uses eCrier to email updates and items of interest to residents.
· Participates in crisis management planning and develops crisis communications plan.
· Maintain database of HOA’s civic organizations, and other contacts.
· Manages development of all web-based forms.
· Coordinates all FOIA requests.
· Manages, schedules, promotes, and coordinates Civics 101 classes.
· Establishes and maintains positive relationships with all media outlets.
· Additional Job Duties Performs related tasks as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in journalism or marketing, and minimum five years closely related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Local government experience highly preferred. Special Requirement Possession of a valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of journalism and marketing.
· Considerable knowledge of municipal organization and functions.
· Considerable knowledge of grammar, punctuation, editing, layout, and related skills.
· Considerable knowledge of desktop publishing software, including in Design.
· Considerable knowledge of photography, graphics, design, and printing.
· Considerable knowledge of presentation and publications software, web authoring software, and related information technology tools for marketing and public relations and communications.
· Strong skills in public contact and customer service.
· Ability to write, edit and communicate clearly and create a positive and professional image of city and office.
· Ability to exercise sound judgment in making decisions in conformance with city policies, state and federal laws related to the release of public information.
· Ability to communicate effectively in conversations, public presentations, and written form.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected and appointed officials, department heads, employees, citizens, and all media.
· Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
The work is sedentary which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
· Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
· Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
· Visual Acuity: Have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading.
Work is performed without exposure to adverse environmental condition.p >