The Recreation Programs Coordinator is responsible for enriching Johns Creek by enlivening the community through the planning, organizing, coordinating, managing, implementing, and supervising of recreation programs and special events on evenings, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal workday hours. This role is an Exempt position and manages assigned part-time and/or fulltime Recreation & Parks employees.
The Recreation Programs Coordinator reports to the Recreation Manager for day-to-day assignments and oversight.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans, implements, and coordinates recreation programs; develops program services and activities; schedules classes, events and programs; reserves facilities and schedules grounds use; oversees, coordinates and directs instructors, staff, and volunteers; provides information and direction as needed; and processes participant registrations
- Assists in planning and implementing special events; develops special events and activities including theme, concept, design and layouts; schedules events; coordinates staff and volunteers; provides information and direction as needed; purchases supplies and food; organizes entertainment; manages event budget; sets up and tears down day of event
- Works with Communications Department to promote recreational programming and special events by reviewing promotional materials, program guides, website updates, emails, news releases, flyers, brochures, etc.
- Communicates with supervisor, City employees, volunteers, instructors, vendors, the general public, or other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, resolve problems, or give/receive advice/direction
- Assists in administering computer systems (including system configuration, setup and monitoring of activities) for rental of facilities and registration in programs by providing support, training, technical support and troubleshooting for internal staff and public users
- Performs general customer service and administrative duties as required including receiving and responding to inquiries, concerns, and complaints of citizens; answering the telephone; preparing reports and correspondence; copying and filing documents; preparing time sheets, attendance records, event action reports, production schedules; and entering computer data, etc.
- Coordinates daily work activities of assigned staff including organizing, prioritizing, and assigning work; creating schedules to ensure adequate staffing for programs and events; monitoring status of work and inspecting completed work; reviewing and processing instructor payments; and supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff including handling employee concerns
- Maintains a current knowledge of applicable policies, procedures, codes, regulations; ensures compliance with established safety procedures including monitoring work environment and use of safety equipment; maintains an awareness of new issues, methods, equipment, trends and advances in the profession; maintains professional affiliations; and participates in continuing education activities; attends meetings and training sessions as appropriate
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Two years previous experience and/or training that includes supervision in a recreational environment or any equivalent combination of education and specialized training
- Valid Georgia Driver's License and good driving history
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (including word processing and spreadsheets)
- Fluency in English (both writing and speaking)
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug screening
- Willingness to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Recreation Administration, Physical Education, Leisure Services, or related field
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in recreation programming
- CPR certification
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional
The Recreation Programs Coordinator's starting pay will be competitive and commensurate with the chosen candidate’s qualifications and experience. The targeted starting pay is between $50,448.25/year and $55,609.25/year. The City of Johns Creek also offers an attractive benefits package, including health benefits, retirement (401(a) and 457 Plans), and paid leave.
Interested professionals should submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for professional references via the online portal.
No unsolicited letters, emails, telephone calls, or in-person submission will be considered in fairness to other potential candidates for this position.