Job Summary: Under supervision performs a variety of semi-skilled and manual work involved in the maintenance, installation and repair of the City's water distribution system to ensure the proper operation of the system to deliver a safe drinking water supply to the public.
Technician: This is an entry-level class in the Water Distribution and Sewer Department. This class is distinguished by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties assigned to positions within the department. As experience is acquired, incumbents perform with less immediate supervision and continue to learn the full duties and responsibilities.
- Performs a full range of general repair duties related to the City's water distribution system: repair broken water lines including transmission mains, distribution mains and residential and commercial water service lines; performs hot taps under pressure; disinfects new water pipes or parts used for repairs and utilizes other proper repair techniques to provide sanitary water to the public.
- Performs a full range of system maintenance duties including to install and maintain all appurtenances associated with water distribution system; maintains and replaces commercial and residential fire hydrants; installs new and maintain existing blow off valves used to flush water to maintain quality.
- Performs a full range of general maintenance duties including to clean and maintain properties that are part of the water system; maintain vegetation and overall cleanliness of pressure regulators vaults, sewer mains and fire hydrants.
- Performs meter maintenance and exchange duties; repairs leaks, tests and replaces water meters of various sizes; installs new meter service lines for newly developed properties; reads meters and performs shut-offs as required.
- Repairs asphalt and concrete after repairs to water distribution system; repairs concrete sidewalk panels; assists patch crew in laying new asphalt in the streets; makes temporary street patches as necessary.
- Operates a variety of vehicles, equipment and tools including service trucks, dump trucks, sewer trucks, backhoe, concrete and asphalt cutting saws, jackhammer, soil compacting tamper and hand and power tools; loads and unloads vehicles and equipment.
- Serves in emergency standby capacity; provides customer service and performs all aspects of distribution system maintenance and repair during after hour periods including holidays and weekends.
- Maintains records of basic operations, maintenance and work performed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Operational characteristics of water distribution system.
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of material commonly used in construction, maintenance and repair activities as related to assigned areas.
- Operational characteristics of maintenance and construction equipment and tools used in work activities.
- Skills in performing various manual labor assignments as needed.
- Ability to interpret instructions and efficiently carry them out with general supervision.
- Ability to perform tasks involving heavy manual labor.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, the general public and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
High school diploma or equivalent; valid Driver's License.
The City of Villa Rica offers the following benefits for eligible employees:
457(b) plan with company match of up to 3%
Medical, Dental and Vision plans
Dependent life insurance
Accident and Critical Illness plan
Short Term Disability
Company paid basic life insurance
Voluntary Life Insurance
Company paid Long Term Disability