This is a full-time position and receives all benefits afforded to regular employees.
Please complete a Glynn County Employment Application and Applicant Questionnaire to apply for the position.
Summary: The purpose of this job is to support the Public Communications Manager in implementing a comprehensive centralized program of public information through various media.
Essential Job Functions: The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Plans, develops, and implements communications programs, materials and methods to inform and educate the public, the news media, County staff and others about County initiatives, services and programs.
- Acts as spokesperson for the Board of Commissioners and County Administration to the media as necessary; advises Public Communications Manager on the response to news events and on the impact of County policies and positions on a variety of issues.
- Provides advice and guidance to the Board of Commissioners and County Manager's office concerning public relations problems and the public impact of actual or proposed County actions, policies and decisions as necessary.
- Develops policies and procedures regarding the release of information by County personnel with the guidance of the Public Communications Manager; assists departments in the development of effective means of communications; monitors and assists with the development of interdepartmental communication.
- Attends meetings and strategy sessions of the Board of Commissioners and interdepartmental committees to remain informed of major County programs and activities. Advises on the necessity, method and timing of press releases or press conferences or potential public relations problems.
- Identifies and assesses public information needs by researching and evaluating information requests and evaluating the County’s public relations goals and objectives. Plans, directs and implements programs of public information to increase public understanding and support of County programs and services through various media formats.
- Designs and produces publications such as newsletters, brochures, manuals, reports, magazines, and broadcasts; writes and edits press releases, letters, studies, reports, speeches, talking points for presentations, and video scripts. Designs, conducts, and evaluates an annual community survey.
- Evaluates alternative methods of disseminating information and selects the most appropriate and cost effective for implementation with special consideration to existing and emerging social media platforms.
- Processes, tracks, and manages public record requests in Glynn County's public records request system and assist other county offices and department staff. Coordinates with Glynn County offices and departments to acknowledge public records requests, seek clarification, search for and review responsive records, provide responsive records, prepare required redaction logs and letters, and when applicable to direct requestors to other resources and information.
- Meets with media representatives to conduct briefings and background sessions. Regularly updates the County website with attention to the Public Information Office page May serve as a government representative on the committees of various community and civic organizations to promote the community and its government. Administers contracts with printers, public relations agencies and other suppliers. Consults with legal staff to assure compliance with public information laws.
- Operates a computer to enter, retrieve, review or modify data; verifies accuracy of entered data and makes corrections; utilizes word processing, spreadsheet, database, personnel/payroll, Internet, email, or other computer programs; performs basic maintenance of computer system and office equipment, such as backing up data or replacing paper, ink, or toner.
- Communicates with supervisor, other departments, department supervisors/managers, county officials, employees, applicants, attorneys, vendors, the media, state/local agencies, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Performs general/clerical tasks, which may include answering telephone calls, typing documents, making copies, sending or receiving faxes, filing documentation, processing incoming/outgoing mail, or shredding confidential or obsolete documentation. Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Education, Training and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or closely related field; supplemented by two (2) years previous experience and/or training that includes public relations, social media, communications, marketing or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Required Licenses: Valid Driver’s License. APR designation is a plus.
GLYNN COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
1725 REYNOLDS STREET BRUNSWICK GEORGIA 31520
GLYNN COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
GLYNN COUNTY HAS A TOBACCO AND SMOKE-FREE POLICY