Qualified applicants may apply on our website by downloading an application packet at cityofcovington.org, or may apply in person (drive thru only) at Covington City Hall, 2194 Emory Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. This position will remain open until filled. The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position leads and participates in the work of a crew of personnel engaged in the installation, maintenance, and repair of the natural gas distribution system.
The Gas Construction Supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions to construction and maintenance crews. The Gas Construction Supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
The purpose of this position is to supervise and participate in the work of a crew of personnel engaged in the construction, maintenance, and repair of the natural gas distribution system. Successful performance helps ensure the safe, effective and efficient operation of the natural gas utility system.
This position has functional supervision over an assigned crew of personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prioritizes daily work assignments; ensures the availability of tools and equipment.
- Oversees construction of installation and maintenance projects; directs the work of crew members.
- Communicates and coordinates with customers, contractors, and representatives of state and federal authorities.
- Welds and fabricates parts as needed.
- Makes welding repairs to steel gas pipelines.
- Installs mainline regulators and valves.
- Performs bores and directional bores using a horizontal directional drill and piercing tools if applicable.
- Ensures compliance with safety policies and procedures; ensures safety equipment is operable and well-maintained.
- Assures safe job-sites are safe and proper signage is present.
- Maintains daily work records.
- Recommends personnel actions.
- Inspects and measures completed work.
- Participates in safety and incident investigations.
- Troubleshoots and repairs problems.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs system components.
- Performs related duties.
- Completes all required Operators Qualification Program Modules required for this position.
- All other duties as assigned.
- The work consists of varied supervisory and technical duties. The variety of projects to be managed contributes to the complexity of the position.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from High School or GED equivalent plus some specialized training in mechanics, maintenance management, or a closely related field; and
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years of experience or service.
- Possession of a valid Class B commercial driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possession of DOT welding certification.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the installation, maintenance, and repair of natural gas distribution systems.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local safety rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of natural gas appliances.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices related to the handling of natural gas emergencies.
- Knowledge of meters and regulators.
- Knowledge of cathodic protection installation, maintenance, and repair principles.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, city codes, and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in the calibration and operation of gas detection equipment.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, climbs ladders, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, and irritating chemicals. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.