POSITION TITLE: Budget/Tax Specialist
FLSA STATUS: Fulltime - Exempt
At Union City, we are guided by our mission and vision, to proudly promote community growth with municipal services and programs, and to make bold, visionary plans to push toward the future. We do this by having the right people in the right place and by creating a culture of service and execution. Make a difference where it counts by joining our team!
As part of our team, members benefit from alternative work schedules, in-house training programs, clearly defined career paths, on-going development opportunities, and a competitive benefits package, just to name a few.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City.
- While performing any procedure, all associates and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate City operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
- Under minimal direction, performs Senior professional level accounting duties in the City’s Finance Department,
- Recording, reporting and analysis of financial transactions; assisting in budget preparation; monitoring budgetary control for assigned areas of responsibility;
- Perform Tax Management in all tax areas of Finance
- Perform Capital Project and Grant Management
- Perform Budget Projections
- Provide lead direction or supervision to assigned staff; and, perform related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process and manage property tax for commercial and residential properties in the City.
- Prepare property tax and budget ads for budget process.
- Oversee property tax sales process.
- Manage capital projects and grants, associated accounts and budget line items, and invoice processing for capital projects.
- Manage, conduct and monitor federal, state, local grants and other funding sources, including the disbursement of funding and processing reimbursements.
- Generate and maintain reports pertaining to capital projects and grants.
- Participate in the development and administration of the City’s budget.
- Oversee and monitor alcohol business licenses applied for and acquired by local businesses.
- Prepare and manage alcohol beverage licensing process, including presenting to Mayor and City Council.
- Oversee accounts receivable process.
- Prepare or assist in preparing financial statements, reports and analysis.
- Perform revenue budget projections and analysis.
- Conduct month end closeout process pertaining to projects, taxes, revenues and grants.
- Maintain current and accurate balances of the general and subsidiary ledgers and supporting schedules for a variety of accounts;
- Manage finance department’s portion of website, including updating information.
- Monitor and perform monthly analysis of accounts receivable collections of governmental fund and proprietary funds.
- Prepare special reports and financial analysis as requested by the Comptroller.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Any other duties as assigned.
Job has recurring work situations involving high degrees of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of available resources is high. Errors in judgment could cause disruptions to the City’s mission and adversely impact attainment of the City’s goals. Incumbent operates independently but results are monitored by the Finance Director. Content of work priorities are largely self determined.
Contacts are across the entire City community and in a leadership capacity. Community contact is a critical component of success in developing good will and support of City programs and initiatives.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- Five years of governmental professional level finance and accounting experience.
- Three years of local municipal property tax management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of:
- Operate a computer and a variety of word processing, spreadsheet and software applications, including financial and accounting programs.
- General ledger maintenance and analysis
- Standard accounting practices, principles and procedures
- Application of accounting principles and practices to governmental agency transactions, such as revenue, accounts receivable, and expense accounting.
- Principles and practices of budgeting, revenue forecasting and investing.
- General laws and rules regulating the fiscal operation of a governmental agency.
- Make sound decisions within established guidelines.
- Communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
- Follow written and oral directions.
- Effectively organize assigned tasks and work within deadlines.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
- Seven Years of municipal government accounting experience.
- Five Years of municipal property tax management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business administration, or Finance
Equipment and Applications
- Computers and peripheral equipment
- Designated software applications.
- Telephones, copiers and other office equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the associate is:
- Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination when using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision when reading and using a computer. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service.
- The need to lift, push and pull files, paper and documents weighing up to 25 pounds also is required.
- Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low
For prompt consideration, send resumes to email@example.com