Reports to: Fire Officer
Hourly Rate: $16.00 - $17.00
Hours of Work: Part-time
Purpose of Work:
The Firefighter (Part-time) position is responsible for protecting life and property by preventing, combating, and extinguishing fires, providing emergency care for the sick and injured, protecting the public during emergency incidents. Assignments and directives regarding policies, programs, and objectives of the Fire Department are generally received from a Station Officer. Work is performed under the general supervision of a Station Officer.
- Prevents, mitigates, combats, suppresses, and extinguishes fires; provides basic emergency care to sick or otherwise injured; performs salvage overhaul after the fire is suppressed.
- Inspects fire department equipment during a tour of duty to ensure preparedness and efficient response to emergency and non-emergency incidents.
- Performs fire prevention building inspections and building familiarization activities such as pre-fire plans to mitigate risk.
- Inspects incident scenes post response to diagnose the origin of an incident.
- Conducts fire education programs to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Inspects all emergency care equipment during a tour of duty to provide for preparedness in the event of an incident.
- Completes requisite documentation after emergency calls. Conducts CPR education programs to diverse audiences.
- Performs related duties as assigned by station officers.
Competencies and Skills:
- Ability to live and work for a 24-hour shift within a confined work setting, with a diverse workgroup of male and female employees of all ethnic groups and religions, as an integrated part of a cooperative team effort.
- Provide and require excellent customer service through cooperative and collaborative team and individual efforts.
- Demonstrate a commitment to safety and the ability to ensure high-quality services and values.
- Be accountable for the proper maintenance of personal and departmental equipment.
Minimum Qualifications & Physical Requirements:
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age; High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Have a valid State of Georgia Driver’s License (Non-commercial Class A or B) with a satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR).
- Certification, or the ability to attain Certification, as a State of Georgia Firefighter I and II, EMT-I, Fire Inspector I, Emergency Medical Technician Certification, CPR, NPQ I, HAZMAT Technician, and all federal mandated NIMS training.
- Must have no felony convictions.
- Completion of the Department Driver Training Program and possesses the ability to drive and operate the department’s assigned vehicles and equipment in a safe and efficient manner Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen and continuously lift and carry heavy objects (51-100 lbs.) and stand, sit, bend, squat, twist, crawl, climb, grasp and manipulate tools and equipment under severe working conditions.
- Employees may be exposed to exhaust fumes, dust, cleaning fumes, fire fumes, pollen, and other related environmental conditions.
- The employee will perform work in situations or controlled settings, and the employee must be able to perform work in hazardous conditions and in uncontrolled settings when the need arises.
How to Apply: All applications must be submitted online at www.decaturga.com
The City of Decatur is an equal opportunity employer
and does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, handicap, genetic information, sexual orientation, sexual preference, gender identity or expression, or political affiliation.