Reports to: Revenue Supervisor
Department: Administrative Services, Revenue Division
Work Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm weekdays
Starting Salary: $39,437- $41,434 Annually DOQ (Non-Exempt)
Purpose of Work:
The purpose of this job is to provide accurate and helpful information regarding property taxes, occupational taxes, business license applications, and sanitation and stormwater bills to the Decatur community. Will be responsible for collecting and posting all taxes and other revenues for the City and will contribute to the overall success of the Revenue division by providing high-quality service in a friendly and efficient manner. This position also serves as the first point of contact for citizens and is therefore vital to providing excellent customer service.
- Serves as the first point of communication for citizens who call the City’s main telephone number.
- Provides information regarding the work of the Revenue division as well as general information on the City of Decatur.
- Directs callers to the proper city departments as necessary to fulfill their customer service needs.
- Works with senior residents to explain and publicize eligible homestead exemptions.
- Prepares and bills business and residential property taxes, sanitation service fees, business licenses, and stormwater fees.
- Collaborates with other members of the Revenue division to improve performance measures and process over 7500 tax bills on a bi-annual basis in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepares tax bills and invoices, processes deposits for payments received, and posts payments to property tax accounts.
- Issues tax refunds for over-payment, posts changes to property assessments, and processes homestead exemptions.
- Assists team members in the Revenue Division to provide accurate and helpful information regarding property taxes, occupational taxes, business license applications, and sanitation and stormwater bills to the Decatur community.
- Works with the Sanitation Department to ensure accurate billing of commercial accounts.
- Collaborates with the City Clerk’s office to avoid financial errors and achieve continuous improvement of financial operations City-wide.
- Participates in cross-training efforts to ensure the Revenue division sustains efficient delivery of services. Participates in both department and division staff meetings.
- Works with the Downtown Development Authority to provide information about licensed businesses upon request.
- Works with the Administrative Services team to provide high-quality services to City staff and community members.
- Communicates with property owners regarding delinquent accounts, initiates collection of delinquent taxes, authorizes tax repayment plans, applies penalties and interest, visits business locations to verify current occupational tax certificates, and files liens in DeKalb County courthouse as necessary.
- Attends public meetings to improve community knowledge of billing for taxes and other City services.
- Applies knowledge of the City’s occupational tax ordinance and property tax code in administering the City’s tax collection procedures.
- Performs research on tax administration and recommends changes to the City’s ordinances as needed. Picks up, delivers, and sorts all City mail.
- Sends and sorts faxes. Assists taxpayers, lenders, and tax services in the use of our website.
- Manages the mailroom for the Revenue Division by ensuring proper use and working order of postage machine and other mailroom equipment. Maintains an adequate inventory of mailroom supplies.
- Performs all other duties as needed or assigned.
Competencies & Skills:
- Collaborates with supervisors, team members, city employees, and the general public to create and maintain effective working relationships.
- Must have good verbal communication skills, pleasant phone voice, attention to detail, high accuracy, skill in operating a personal computer, 10-digit calculator, and other office equipment.
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft Office suite, understand and carry out moderately difficult written and oral instructions for operation of tax billing software.
- Must perform basic math such as multiplication, addition, subtraction, and division quickly and accurately.
Minimum Qualifications & Physical Requirements:
- Associate’s degree in a related field, Bachelor’s degree preferred. Minimum of one (1) year of work experience in a related field, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years of face-to-face customer service experience is highly desired.
- Possess, or have the ability to obtain a valid State of Georgia driver's license (Class C) with a satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR).
- Must be able to drive and operate assigned vehicles and equipment safely and efficiently.
- Must be able to sit and stand for varying periods of time.
- Must be able to see, hear, speak, write, and operate office equipment such as phones, computers, fax machines, copy machines, etc.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, or carry up to 25lbs.
How to Apply: All applications and resumes must be submitted online.
We do not accept e-mailed resumes as a part of the application process.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYEE
The City of Decatur is committed to having a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated during employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS:
To support the health and safety of our employees, work spaces, and the public with whom we interact, the City requires newly hired employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or to have received an approved accommodation based on medical condition or sincerely held religious belief or practice. Please let us know if you’d like to discuss the policy or available accommodations before proceeding with our recruitment process.