Under the general supervision of the Public Works Director or designee, performs quality assurance inspections on all phases of construction of Public Works projects to ensure compliance with plans, standards, specifications, codes, permits and ordinances. Serves as field resource for both City staff and contractors. Assists in the implementation of the City’s illicit discharge detection and elimination program and storm water management plan.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs field inspections of construction improvements for compliance with plans, standards, specifications, regulations, permits, city code and ordinances; inspects approves and /or rejects all phases of construction.
- Monitors contractor schedules to ensure milestones are met and resolve potential problems.
- Enforces City ordinances, policies, procedures, and guidelines associated with on-site and off-site improvements.
- Reviews and evaluates requests for information, third party material testing, change orders, and pay applications for accuracy.
- Analyzes proposed site factors and design maps, graphs, tracings and diagrams to illustrate findings.
- Coordinates work with City departments and other agencies. Attends construction and project related meetings with other agencies, contractors and utility companies.
- Coordinates and assists contractors with field problems and possible plan revisions as needed.
- Reads and reviews project construction documents and structural specifications to determine dimensions of structure or system and material requirements.
- Confers with supervisor to determine project details, such as plan preparation, acceptance testing and evaluation of field conditions.
- Prepares reports and documents project activities and data; scan field division files, plans and records.
- Reviews and approves traffic control plans; ensures compliance with Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) regulations, inspects temporary traffic control, road closures and restrictions.
- Processes right-of-way encroachment permits; tabulates payments for permits; posts inspection results.
- Verifies permits, licenses and insurance certificates. Conducts citywide inspections and completes reports for the City’s storm water management plan.
- Collects geographic information systems (GIS) data for use by City GIS staff.
- Supports the City’s policies, goals and objectives and works with management and other staff to ethically achieve such goals and objectives; ensures compliance with safety procedures.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED and four (4) years paid fulltime experience as an engineering survey assistant performing construction inspection, public improvements (i.e. roads, bridges, storm drains, curbs, public or private buildings, facilities, utilities, etc.); OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Must have or be able to obtain Safety Coordinator, Safety and Preventive Maintenance, Self Discipline and Emotional Control Class Certification or classes.
Must have a valid State Driver’s License.