Water & Sewer Maintenance Technician I
Pay Grade: 102
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position is responsible for performing unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance duties in support of the City’s water distribution and sewer system.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists in maintaining sewer pump stations.
- Assists with inventory control as well as supplies and materials ordering activities.
- Assists with locating water mains, sewer lines, and other utilities.
- Cleans and clears clogged sewer service lines and mains.
- Completes meter change out and new service forms; performs new water/sewer service connections for residential and commercial customers.
- Flags traffic as directed.
- Inspects pressure/vacuum test on newly installed lines.
- Installs water/sewer lines, sewer taps, water/sewer mains, fire hydrants, valves, water meters, and other related services.
- Mows grass in work areas as necessary.
- Operates a push mower and tractor to mow grass.
- Operates a variety of equipment and hand tools such as a backhoe, boring equipment, trencher, excavators, dump trucks, tractors, bush hogs, bob cats, sewer machine, jack hammer, tapping machine, mower, tamping machine, shovel, pickax, truck, and other related tools and equipment to accomplish department projects.
- Operates roving sewer camera to locate leaks and obstructions in sewer lines.
- Performs housekeeping duties as directed.
- Performs routine maintenance of equipment, including washing, checking fluid levels, and lubricating; performs minor equipment repairs.
- Places utility and construction signs at work sites.
- Repairs water/sewer lines, water/sewer mains/water meters, fire hydrants, valves, and other related services.
- Responds to water/sewer service and emergency calls.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent and one (1) year of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the standard materials, tools, equipment, and methods used in water and sewer installation, repair and maintenance.
- Knowledge of safety procedures pertaining to water and sewer distribution systems maintenance.
- Knowledge of meters, valves, taps, sewer pump stations, and elevated water tank operations.
- Skill in standard water and sewer installation, repair and maintenance, tools and equipment.
- Skill in the use of tools such as jackhammers, pipe locators, pipe cutters, and various hand tools.
- Skill in following instructions.
- Ability to read, write and perform basic mathematical calculations.
Must handle continuous outdoor activity, frequent standing, sitting ,walking, squatting, bending, twisting upper body, climbing, exposure to extreme heat, cold, noise, mechanical hazards, fume/odor hazards, toxic waste/material hazards. Must be able to work in confined spaces. Walk and work on slippery and uneven surfaces. Manual dexterity sufficient to grasp, hold objects and tools with full range of motion in wrists and arms. Hearing sufficient to understand conversations, both in person and on the telephone. Must be able to climb ladders, crawl across pipelines, lift or carry 50 pounds while climbing ladder or steep banks. Occasionally will be required to lift man hole covers weighing in excess of 50 pounds several times a day.
Work is typically performed outdoors, where the employee may be exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and occasional inclement weather. The work requires the use of safety devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.