Department: Public Works
Pay Grade: 103
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position is responsible for reading and recording water, gas and electric usage data.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists with cleaning and maintaining department vehicles.
- Checks error edits to determine if customers are experiencing problems such as water leaks or high or low readings; checks zero consumption edits to determine why no usage data appear on consumer’s meter readings.
- Checks meters to ensure authorized seals and serial numbers are attached.
- Clears overgrown vegetation, obstacles, and hazards from meters; reports meters blocked by structures such as porches or decks to the supervisor.
- Connects, disconnect, or reconnects customer services, according to work order, non-payment, or cut-off requirements.
- Inspects meters for signs of tampering, vandalism, and theft of utility services.
- Operates a two-way radio to transmit and receive information.
- Reads and records readings of residential and commercial water, electric, and gas meters on an assigned route; utilizes a handheld computer to capture utility usage data.
- Rereads meters as necessary to get accurate data or to identify problems such as leaks or faulty equipment.
- Responds to customer complaints; resolves problems or notifies supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of city and department policies and procedures pertaining to the reading of water, gas, and electric meters.
- Knowledge of the mechanical functions of water, gas and electric meters.
- Knowledge of handheld and electronic meter reading and recording equipment.
- Knowledge of gas and electrical safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of the location of city streets and meters.
- Knowledge of utility service areas
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in the use of meter-testing equipment.
- Skill in the use of various meter-reading equipment and hand tools.
- Skill in operating a motor vehicle.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Must typically perform work while standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
Work is typically performed outdoors. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, vicious animals, machinery with moving parts, and inclement weather. The work may require the use of protective devices such as gloves.
The City of Commerce has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.