This position is responsible for the upkeep, promotion, and operation of the Main Street Program as defined by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs Exceptional Main Street Program Memorandum of Understanding and the Georgia Main Street Program Standards for Accreditation. This position directs and coordinates marketing initiatives, Main Street events, and other general City events.
- Work alongside Downtown Merchants and is the point person for the Tifton Merchants Association
- Plans and coordinates all Main Street events through the year. Tasks include: development and marketing of calendar events, purchase of event supplies, decoration, event set up, event take down. Document events with audio/video or pictures. Meet and coordinate with outside entities regarding events and provide oversight and guidance to volunteers during City Events. Coordinates with the Outreach Marketing Group for support and assistance
- Coordinates the marketing of the Main Street Program events. This also includes developing announcements, informational bulletins, press releases, event’s calendar, website, social media and all other appropriate news media communications, Georgia Tourism communication, etc. Maintains social media posts, department’s website informational and promotional materials, flyers, electronic board, and other related communications for Main Street.
- Creates monthly MainStreet Newsletter and updates all department’s social media and internet outlets (city website, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc). Works with local downtown businesses to promote them in the community.
- Provides written report updates on the Main Street activities, as well as current social media analytics, events, and program updates. Works closely with the Downtown Development Director and Authority for downtown trends, applicable programs, and economic growth
- Attends annual Main Street Training, and required continuing education by the Department of Community Affairs
- Attending meetings and/or events outside of regular business hours including weekends
- Occasional presentation at City Council meetings regarding City Events.
- Staff liaison for the Tifton Merchants Association, including collaboration with other City departments such as Public Works and Police Department.
- Represents the City of Tifton Main Street Program at various agency functions and meetings.
- Provide high level oversight and supervision for events at the downtown theater. Support theater manager in work functions when required
- Perform other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision while exercising good judgement and initiative.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with all levels of staff, management, agencies and general public.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with constant interruptions and within short timeframes.
- Ability to handle confidential/sensitive materials in a professional manner.
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of the principles of governmental organization and administration with the ability to make routine decisions in accordance with laws, ordinances, regulations and departmental/organizational policies.
- Demonstrate ability to maintain complex clerical records and prepared reports from such records.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to understand and follow complex verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to answer moderately involved questions regarding City events.
- Demonstrated ability to make routine decisions in accordance with laws, ordinances, regulations, established policies, and departmental procedures.
- Demonstrate ability to maintain professional composure when confronted by stressful situations.
- Demonstrate ability to accurately complete basic arithmetic computations.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written guidelines and instructions.
- Ability to proofread and check documents for errors.
- Demonstrated ability to develop newsletters and other graphic materials for printed and online distribution.
- Extensive knowledge of office terminology/principles, office procedures, telephone etiquette and customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to operate office equipment, including, but not limited to, personal computer, multi-line telephone system, laptop, adding machine, printer, copier, scanner, and fax machine.
- Communication and interpersonal skills needed to work with the public and other employees in a cooperative and professional manner.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to give presentations to groups for informational and instructional purposes.
- Ability to make objective decisions using sound judgement.
- Other duties as assigned
This position will be supervised by the Deputy City Manager. The Main Street Manager position will also provide high level oversight of the Theater Manager in terms of entertainment, employee supervisor, marketing and promotion, etc.
Guidelines include working with the Director of Economic Development to enhance and maintain the Main Street Program.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
The work consists of related clerical and professional duties. The volume of work to be completed contributes to the complexity to the position.
Contacts are typically co-workers, Tifton Merchants Association, DDA, merchants, and the general public. Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide support, leadership, and partnership with the City and Main Street Program.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Duties are performed primarily in an office setting with prolonged periods of sitting. The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office equipment, etc.
- When coordinating events, this position requires prolonged standing and walking, overhead reaching, crawling, kneeling, climbing, lifting up to 20 pounds.
- This position will require occasional travel while coordinating events or going to trainings.
- May be exposed to dust and weather elements while working outside to coordinate events.
- This position will have frequent contact with others.
- At times, workloads can be extensive with limited time for response and/or action. Position requires prolonged periods of concentration and the ability to cope with numerous interruptions and changing priorities.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
Will provide supervision over the Theater Manager.
- Associate Degree in Public Relations, Communication, Business, Marketing, Hospitality, Journalism, or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school, preferred but not required
- Certified Main Street 101 by the Georgia Office of Downtown Development or ability to obtain certification within six months of hire, required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Minimum of five years of administrative experience in local or state government preferred.
- Minimum of three years of extensive customer service experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher) and Adobe required.
- Experience in graphic design preferred