The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Administrative Assistant. This is an entry-level position within the Parks and Recreation Department.
Performs advanced secretarial and administrative work for the Parks and Recreation Director and other managers as designated by the Director. He/she will perform record keeping and bookkeeping duties to assure fiscal and administrative control of all recreation activities and obligations. To provide excellent customer service to an extensive number of walk-in customers as well as callers and through electronic communications.
Essential Job Functions:
• Assists Director with yearly budget preparation and prepares all purchase requests for department. Maintains daily operation of MUNIS – Municipal Information System.
• Works with director in day-to-day operations; supervises all aspects of registration for the department’s programs.
• Works directly with recreation, program and sports directors to ensure department guidelines are followed.
• Collects and deposits all fees for registration and city activities; prepares billing invoices.
• Audits, approves time cards and maintains employee work records for regular and seasonal employees; maintains all records for regular time, overtime, sick leave, holidays, and vacation.
• Manages, handles, and accounts for year round facility rentals of available department properties (buildings, fields and outdoor parks). Coordinates with maintenance staff and cleaning crew’s schedule of events and cleaning schedules.
• Greets customers, informs them of the recreational opportunities and provides all necessary information as required.
• Maintains office file plan.
• Plan, design and produces promotional materials which include brochures, newsletters and flyers for all recreational programs; composes routine letters, reports, notes and memoranda.
• Schedules, attends, prepares agendas and records meeting minutes for department meetings.
• Performs all other job-related activities as assigned.
• Two (2) years of study at an accredited college or university;
• Three (3) years of experience performing work related to the described duties;
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience;
• A valid GA Driver’s License is required
• Must certify in First-Aid/CPR/AED within the first 12 months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Exercises discretion and sound judgment, maintains confidentiality.
• Excellent organization and time management skills.
• Ability to multi-task effectively.
• Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team environment when required, high degree of tact.
• Ability to work independently and proactively, demonstrates initiative.
• Exercise independent thinking and good judgment.
• Ability to interpret policies, administrative regulations, legislation and accurately explain to others.
• Ability to maintain confidentially and exercise considerable skill in handling sensitive information and data.
• Ability to prepare clear, concise, grammatically correct letters, memos, staff meeting minutes and other written documents.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
• The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
• Employee may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.
The City of Brookhaven has adopted under ordinance a required COVID vaccination for all newly hired employees.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.p >