The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
City of Lula
Planning & Project Director.
The Director of Planning and Projects serves as the department head for the Planning & Zoning Department as well as oversees project development in the City of Lula. In this role, the Director performs complex professional work, managing, directing, and supervising the Planning and Zoning Department, ensuring services are delivered at the highest possible level along with working with City Engineering and Construction Vendors for Project Review. The Director manages daily operations and staff, inquiries from citizens and customers, produces and manages the department budget, oversees current and long-range planning programs and the public hearings process, ensures that projects are accurately planned and constructed in accordance with the adopted codes and ordinances of the county, and holds the primary responsibility for delivering action plan projects to completion with goals and objectives achieved as set forth in the Comprehensive Plan and accompanying adopted planning documents. Additionally, work involves setting policies and goals under the direction of the City Manager. Continuous supervision is exercised over all personnel within the department team.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES - Includes the following and other duties as assigned.
Provides leadership through planning, organizing, directing and supervising all responsibilities of the department to deliver planning and zoning services at the highest possible level;
· Provides leadership, serving as the principal and chief planner for the City of Lula, directing development studies including land use and strategic planning, coordinating planning with external agencies, as well;
· Ensures that customer service is exemplary at all times, with responsiveness and timely follow-ups to answer questions and resolve issues;
· Fosters teamwork and collaboration throughout the department, agency, and with the cities as well as with state and federal partners; Oversees and manages all planning and zoning activities and responsibilities;
· Oversees and manages the planning and zoning plan review process, making certain that comments are issued timely to the customer in accordance with agency standards; · Oversees and manages the public hearings processes for zoning actions as well as appeals and variance requests;
· Presents to and works closely with the Planning Commission, , and city council;
· Reviews all existing City of Lula processes and makes enhancement or new processes as appropriate;
· Standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the operations of the department;
· Facilitates conflict resolution strategies to mediate and explore solutions to achieve common goals and deliver projects and services at the highest level;
· Supervises department staff, including selecting or recommending selection, establishing staffing standards, organizing training, assigning and evaluating work, coaching and counseling, discipline up to and including termination, and preparing periodic employee performance evaluations;
· Exercises discretion and independent judgment regarding preparation and expending the department budget based on staffing and resource requirements and program objectives and goals;
· Monitors the budget to assure compliance with approved budget levels and standards; · Serves as an authority and decisive staff position regarding the City of Lula Zoning Ordinance; Overlay District Zoning and Development Standards
· Analyzes, prioritizes and addresses county land use and zoning programs and needs;
· Reviews and manages annexation and deannexation petitions, communicating and coordinating with the appropriate counties and applicants, as needed;
· Oversees and manages all planning processes, including but not limited to the Comprehensive Plan, Overlay Corridor Ordinance plans, and area plans;
· Coordinates with the Marshal and other departments and agencies as necessary to enforce the codes of the City of Lula; · Researches grant programs and prepares grant applications; oversees and administers grants;
· Manages assigned contracts and program areas to achieve goals within available resources; reviews progress of contracts and holds contractors accountable for terms of contracts; · Drafts and recommends policy and ordinance updates for adoption by the city council;
· Represents the City in various state and national professional associations; makes presentations to elected and appointed officials and community members;
· Attends evening meetings and occasional weekend events;
· Attends training, seminars and conferences, and conducts research to stay current with legislation, trends, and current practices;
· Performs all other related duties as required or assigned.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in planning or closely related field required; Master’s Degree in planning, public administration, or similar field preferred. Four (4) years progressively responsible experience in local government planning and zoning required; or any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
· Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) preferred.
· Supervisory experience of a minimum of 5 years mentoring and managing professional staff required. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Well-developed knowledge of one or more planning disciplines, such as zoning, urban design, affordable housing, economic development, or land use.
· Thorough knowledge of zoning and land use regulations and ordinances.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills for preparing and presenting planning reports and projects.
· Excellent interpersonal skills for facilitating relationships with other departments and jurisdictions.
· Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve less well-defined planning problems.
· Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously and meet firm deadlines.
· Knowledge of processes and procedures for zoning, variance and sign applications and subdivision submittals.
· Knowledge of personal computers and related software.
· Able to prepare for and make presentations to, City Planning Commission, City Council and Public Meetings to appointed boards.
· Ability to organize and direct the work of subordinates.
· Ability to take corrective action and apply progressive discipline up to and including termination.
· Ability to review performance of staff, communicate expectations, set goals and measure performance.
· Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with the general public, other City Departments, presentations to City Council and other elected officials.
· Ability to read and interpret zoning text, surveys, maps and plats.
· Ability to read and interpret a variety of documents ranging from correspondence and policies and procedures to technical documents.
Valid Georgia Driver’s License and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR). Job duties are performed primarily in an office environment. However, the ability to work in a variety of outdoor weather conditions and in environments with high noise levels is needed when the incumbent is inspecting service requests or active projects.
Submit Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
or Fax to 770-869-1299
or Mail to
City of Lula
P O Box 99
Lula,Ga 30554p >