Water Distribution Technician UTIL/4
This position performs technical duties in the construction, repair, and maintenance of the water distribution system. An incumbent in this position may be designated “Senior Water Distribution Technician.”
Repairs water line and main breaks.
- Installs, reads, changes out, and repairs water meters.
- Installs and changes out meter boxes and lids.
- Operates a backhoe, track-hoe, pumping equipment, and hand and power tools as needed.
- Operates a jet machine to clear sewer line blockages; adds chemicals to sewer lines.
- Makes water taps for new water service.
- Maintains parts and supply inventory; reorders as needed.
- Installs sewer and water lines.
- Locates underground utilities.
- Responds to emergency gas and water main breaks.
- Maintains assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Installs landscaping and mows grass.
- Installs safe work zones; installs cones and barrels; flags traffic.
- Turns gas and water service on and off.
- Transports gravel and other materials in a dump truck.
- Completes work orders.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the tools and equipment used in the construction, maintenance and repair of water and natural gas utility systems.
- Knowledge of department safe work practices.
- Knowledge of vehicle and equipment operation and maintenance.
- Skill in the installation and repair of water and sewer lines and related infrastructure.
- Skill in the use of job-related tools and equipment.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
The Utilities Director assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include the employee handbook and equipment manufacturers’ operating procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related technical duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to perform technical duties in the maintenance and repair of the water utility system. Successful performance provides for the efficient and effective delivery of utility services to the public.
- Contacts are typically with co‑workers, vendors, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while intermittently standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
How to Apply: Online application Resumes, with cover letter including reason for interest in position, may be submitted by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or in person: City of Social Circle
Attn: Teresa Duval
PO Box 310
166 N. Cherokee Road
Social Circle, GA 30025
Resumes should include at least three (3) professional references.
End Date: Applications must be received by the close of business on Friday, Jan. 28, 2022