The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Qualified applicants MUST apply on our website by downloading an application packet at cityofcovington.org or may apply in person at Covington City Hall, 2194 Emory Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. This position will remain open until filled. The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is skilled labor in the operation on moderately light and specialized equipment. Work involves the responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of basic hand tools, shovels, rakes, power tools and other equipment used in the performance of this job which can be learned on the job without great delay or difficulty.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Ensures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
• Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
• Performs required labor involved in street construction and maintenance and works as member of street and sidewalk construction or maintenance crew doing such general laboring tasks as breaking pavement; pouring and shoveling asphalt and concrete; raking; tamping and smoothing asphalt and concrete; carrying bricks; digs out holes with manual and automatic digging tools, fills depressions with slag, gravel and other materials; cleans out catch basins, pipes and ditches.
• Performs all other duties that are deemed necessary by the Street Department Manager and/or departmental supervisor.
• Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in the street department.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED equivalent;
• Ability to read and write English; some experience in light truck and equipment operation and in laboring work; or any combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Some knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods, and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities;
• Skill in the operation of some of the listed tools and equipment.
• Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time;
• Ability to work safely;
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public;
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Must possess a valid Class C State Driver's License. Must have a good driving record for the last 3 years to be insurable by the City’s insurance. Flagging certification or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire date.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Motorized vehicles and equipment, including pickup truck, utility truck, tamper, saws, pumps, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally performed outdoors with frequent exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity; frequent exposure to dust, fumes, and smoke and frequent exposure to excessive noises. The employee frequently works around moving machinery, and in close proximity to others. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.p >